WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Optional and Required Fields

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 16 2001 11:58AM
Subject: Optional and Required Fields
No previous message | Next message →

Hi,
What are people's thoughts on the best ways to indicate optional or required fields?
My personal thoughts are that the information about whether a field is required or optional is that the information should be included as part of the label for the field.
Also, what are people's thoughts on formatting information? I keep going back and forth between including the information as part of the label as well or including that formatting information directly within the field. Often I have seen it to the right of the field, but if someone is listening to a page they are likely to hear that information only after they have filled out the field. -- that is not exactly the best time to inform a user that he should have entered the date as mm-dd-yy as opposed to any other possible date format.
Any thoughts on these things?
Thanks!
Tim
Tim Harshbarger
Disability Support Services
State Farm Insurance Companies
Phone: (3090) 766-0154
E-mail: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =

Date: Tue, Oct 16 2001 12:13PM
Subject: Re: Optional and Required Fields
← Previous message | No next message

Tim,

I feel any information that can affect the way the user will enter data into the field should be in the label. Thus, if I the user need to know that a date field is required and it must be entered as mm/yyyy then I should get that out of the label.

thanks
Mark Rew
----- Original Message -----
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 1:53 PM
Subject: Optional and Required Fields

Hi,
What are people's thoughts on the best ways to indicate optional or required fields?
My personal thoughts are that the information about whether a field is required or optional is that the information should be included as part of the label for the field.
Also, what are people's thoughts on formatting information? I keep going back and forth between including the information as part of the label as well or including that formatting information directly within the field. Often I have seen it to the right of the field, but if someone is listening to a page they are likely to hear that information only after they have filled out the field. -- that is not exactly the best time to inform a user that he should have entered the date as mm-dd-yy as opposed to any other possible date format.
Any thoughts on these things?
Thanks!
Tim
Tim Harshbarger
Disability Support Services
State Farm Insurance Companies
Phone: (3090) 766-0154
E-mail: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =