WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: footnotes

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Sat, Nov 03 2001 12:10AM
Subject: footnotes
No previous message | Next message →

Hello all -
I am trying to figure out how to deal with footnotes. I was thinking of using the superscript tag to indicate that there is a footnote. Such as the following:
"E-mail<sup>1</sup>:"
However, the screen readers that I have tested this on just reads "E-mail 1" with no indication that it was a superscript (footnote).
I am also trying to figure out how to allow them to read the footnote right away. I was thinking about a link to either a pop-up window or to the bottom of the page. I know that pop-up windows are not highly favored. If I went with the last option, I was thinking of having a link that would send them back to where they were before the clicked on the footnote link.
I have tried looking through WAI and other online resources but could not really find any information. Would anyone like to share their knowledge or opinions on this matter?
thank you for your time.
Jason

Date: Sat, Nov 03 2001 12:28AM
Subject: RE: footnotes
← Previous message | Next message →

I like the second option, i have seen it used in several places. The footnote with the return link works quite nicely.

Sincerely,

Mike Burks
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ]On Behalf Of Jason Addie
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 2:10 PM
To: 'WebAIM forum'
Subject: footnotes

Hello all -
I am trying to figure out how to deal with footnotes. I was thinking of using the superscript tag to indicate that there is a footnote. Such as the following:
"E-mail<sup>1</sup>:"
However, the screen readers that I have tested this on just reads "E-mail 1" with no indication that it was a superscript (footnote).
I am also trying to figure out how to allow them to read the footnote right away. I was thinking about a link to either a pop-up window or to the bottom of the page. I know that pop-up windows are not highly favored. If I went with the last option, I was thinking of having a link that would send them back to where they were before the clicked on the footnote link.
I have tried looking through WAI and other online resources but could not really find any information. Would anyone like to share their knowledge or opinions on this matter?
thank you for your time.
Jason

Date: Sat, Nov 03 2001 12:34AM
Subject: RE: footnotes
← Previous message | No next message

At 11:10 AM 11/2/2001 , Jason Addie wrote:
>I am trying to figure out how to deal with footnotes. I was thinking of using the superscript tag to indicate that there is a footnote. Such as the following:
>"E-mail<sup>1</sup>:"
>However, the screen readers that I have tested this on just reads "E-mail 1" with no indication that it was a superscript (footnote).
>I am also trying to figure out how to allow them to read the footnote right away. I was thinking about a link to either a pop-up window or to the bottom of the page. I know that pop-up windows are not highly favored. If I went with the last option, I was thinking of having a link that would send them back to where they were before the clicked on the footnote link.
My recommendation is what you say -- a link that sends them back to
where they were (since you know what that is).
Here is my sample code.
In main.html:
Email
<sup>
<a href="footnotes.html#f1" name="f1" id="f1"
rel="help" title="Footnote 1: Email">
</a>
</sup>
In footnotes.html:
<h3>
<a name="f1" id="f1">
Footnote 1: Email
</a>
</h3>
<p>
Text of footnote
</p>
<a href="main.html#f1" rev="help">
Back to Main Document
</a>
Note there is not a defined link type for "footnote" although there
probably should be. The keyword "help" is the closest, although
"glossary" or "appendix" could also be used, e.g.:
rel="help appendix glossary"
Also note the title on the link in main.html. This is because it
allows for identification of the link when it is out of context,
and there is no easy way to associate the number with the item it
is footnoting. (You could make "Email" the link text, but there
are some benefits -- most of them when printing -- to use
traditional footnotes rather than simply hypertext links.)
--Kynn
-- Kynn Bartlett < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > http://kynn.com/
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain Internet http://idyllmtn.com/
Online Instructor, Accessible Web Design http://kynn.com/+d201