WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Auto Reply: Accessibility of Google Ads frames

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Aug 09 2011 7:48AM
Subject: Auto Reply: Accessibility of Google Ads frames
No previous message | Next message →

I will be out of the office until 08/15/2011 with very limited email access, however, I'll get back to you on Monday.

Date: Tue, Aug 09 2011 7:54AM
Subject: Accessibility of Google Ads frames
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi again,

I've encountered a Web site that has a few Google Ads frames on each page. Some of these have Flash content within them that isn't accessible. In fact, using JAWS, if I get my cursor into one of these Flash objects I can't get it out and have to refresh the page to get control back again. I know that I have seen many accessible Google Ads frames, including on the WEBAIM site, of course.

My question is, does the developer who includes Google Ads on his or her site have any control over what gets shown in those frames? I've walked the developer through fixing some other accessibility issues, but I'm not sure how to approach this one, and he says that he can't change what's in them. To me, these affect the overall accessibility of the site.

Thanks.

Courtney

Date: Tue, Aug 09 2011 8:30AM
Subject: Re: Accessibility of Google Ads frames
← Previous message | Next message →

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Ritz, Courtney L. (GSFC-7500) wrote:

> My question is, does the developer who includes Google Ads on his or her site have any control over what gets shown in those frames?

Yes, you have limited control over the ad content. You can choose
text-only ads, image/rich media ads, or a combination of both. The
image and rich media ads are where the accessibility issues are
introduced. If you enable rich media ads, I don't think you can turn
off Flash ads specifically. You can limit to certain content
categories or block particular ads or advertisers.

We have our ads set to text only and that is what I would recommend to
maintain good accessibility.

Jared

Date: Tue, Aug 09 2011 8:36AM
Subject: Re: Accessibility of Google Ads frames
← Previous message | No next message

Thanks so much! I'll suggest that.

Courtney

-----Original Message-----
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 10:32 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility of Google Ads frames

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Ritz, Courtney L. (GSFC-7500) wrote:

> My question is, does the developer who includes Google Ads on his or her site have any control over what gets shown in those frames?

Yes, you have limited control over the ad content. You can choose text-only ads, image/rich media ads, or a combination of both. The image and rich media ads are where the accessibility issues are introduced. If you enable rich media ads, I don't think you can turn off Flash ads specifically. You can limit to certain content categories or block particular ads or advertisers.

We have our ads set to text only and that is what I would recommend to maintain good accessibility.

Jared