WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Verified examplars of accessible websites

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Nov 28 2016 5:45PM
Subject: Verified examplars of accessible websites
No previous message | Next message →

Hello all,
When learning something practical, like website design, it's helpful to have a few exemplary models to study and learn from.  These models demonstrate skill that might not otherwise be provided in general descriptions of good designs.  The models would have to sufficient complexity to showcase the skill.

Would anyone know of examples of websites that have been intentionally designed to be user friendly for users of assistive devices (ex., screen readers, sip puffs) or users with particular disabilities and also verified as user-friendly by members of those intended user groups?  I'm trying to find some examples to learn from.

Sincerely,
Mark

Date: Tue, Nov 29 2016 7:56AM
Subject: Re: Verified examplars of accessible websites
← Previous message | Next message →

Mark,

Did you check out any strict XHTML sites? Google those. They are strict about their markup and CSS. They might be a good start for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Mark Weiler
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 6:45 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Verified examplars of accessible websites

Hello all,
When learning something practical, like website design, it's helpful to have a few exemplary models to study and learn from. These models demonstrate skill that might not otherwise be provided in general descriptions of good designs. The models would have to sufficient complexity to showcase the skill.

Would anyone know of examples of websites that have been intentionally designed to be user friendly for users of assistive devices (ex., screen readers, sip puffs) or users with particular disabilities and also verified as user-friendly by members of those intended user groups? I'm trying to find some examples to learn from.

Sincerely,
Mark

Date: Tue, Nov 29 2016 9:25AM

www.zdf.de looks pretty impressive accessibility-wise (on first and second impressions). Haven't found a serious issue yet.

Detlev

Date: Thu, Dec 01 2016 6:15AM

I can't read the German, so it is difficult to evaluate, but one thing I did notice that bothered me The Navigation region was inside the banner region. Am I mistaken or is that not considered good practice?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Detlev Fischer < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> www.zdf.de looks pretty impressive accessibility-wise (on first and second impressions). Haven't found a serious issue yet.
>
> Detlev
>
> > > >

Date: Thu, Dec 01 2016 6:27AM
← Previous message | No next message

Jonathan,

So many sites do that. In fact, as a developer, I would insert the <nav> in the <header>. Some put it in the footer, which I am not a fan of as I'd like the important links to be at the top of the DOM.

This is more of a UX issue than WCAG. Having said so, do not confuse the 2. UX issues is how you'd like the page to be laid out. WCAG are the guidelines to ensure the content is accessible to users.

You would never want to enforce your UX as a WCAG. It is very bad practice and in the field you'd get more people frowning at you than working with you.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Cohn
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:16 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Verified examplars of accessible websites

I can't read the German, so it is difficult to evaluate, but one thing I did notice that bothered me The Navigation region was inside the banner region. Am I mistaken or is that not considered good practice?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Detlev Fischer < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> www.zdf.de looks pretty impressive accessibility-wise (on first and second impressions). Haven't found a serious issue yet.
>
> Detlev
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>