WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, May 30 2017 9:17AM
Subject: iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?
No previous message | Next message →

A scenario that came across while testing a video player on iPhone (10.3.2 / Safari browser) with JAWS 17,

"While video is playing in full-screen mode, I am swiping right to read the video controls such as Pause, Done, progress bar, etc. But the screen reader is reading the content behind the video player (i.e. the content in the primary screen)"

Is this issue related to Apple QuickTime player itself (or) the website? Any advice or thoughts, please?

Poornima Subramanian,
Accessibility Consultant & Tester

Date: Tue, May 30 2017 11:19AM
Subject: Re: iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?
← Previous message | Next message →

Web site.On certain sites modals do not present to VO on iOS properly. VO does not notice them.

That's why you are getting this issue. There will need to be a JavaScript implementation to inform VO of the modal.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Poornima via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:17 AM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?

A scenario that came across while testing a video player on iPhone (10.3.2 / Safari browser) with JAWS 17,

"While video is playing in full-screen mode, I am swiping right to read the video controls such as Pause, Done, progress bar, etc. But the screen reader is reading the content behind the video player (i.e. the content in the primary screen)"

Is this issue related to Apple QuickTime player itself (or) the website? Any advice or thoughts, please?

Poornima Subramanian,

Date: Tue, May 30 2017 11:32AM
Subject: Re: iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?
← Previous message | Next message →

I was thinking this is the "Apple native QuickTime player" that play the videos in full screen mode.

If VO treats this as a modal, does "aria-hidden" and "tab index" attributes help to fix this issue? If anyone came across similar or other technical try-outs , please advise.

Thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:19 PM
To: Badhan Subramanian, Poornima; 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?

Web site.On certain sites modals do not present to VO on iOS properly. VO does not notice them.

That's why you are getting this issue. There will need to be a JavaScript implementation to inform VO of the modal.

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Poornima via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:17 AM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?

Poornima Subramanian,

Date: Tue, May 30 2017 3:34PM
← Previous message | No next message

On 30/05/2017 18:19, JP Jamous wrote:
> Web site.On certain sites modals do not present to VO on iOS properly. VO does not notice them.

But from the problem description, this isn't a modal, but rather
Safari's built-in video player widget set to fullscreen...so an issue
with Apple's implementation rather than the site.

For avoidance of doubt, it would of course be helpful to post a link to
the site / a testcase that exhibits the same behavior.

P

> That's why you are getting this issue. There will need to be a JavaScript implementation to inform VO of the modal.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Poornima via WebAIM-Forum
> Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:17 AM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] iPhone Videos in browser full screen mode - screen reader reading content in the background - Any thoughts?
>
> A scenario that came across while testing a video player on iPhone (10.3.2 / Safari browser) with JAWS 17,
>
> "While video is playing in full-screen mode, I am swiping right to read the video controls such as Pause, Done, progress bar, etc. But the screen reader is reading the content behind the video player (i.e. the content in the primary screen)"
>
> Is this issue related to Apple QuickTime player itself (or) the website? Any advice or thoughts, please?
>
> Poornima Subramanian,
> Accessibility Consultant & Tester
> > > >
> > > > >

--
Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com
twitter: @patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke