WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: symptom table

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Thu, Jun 22 2017 8:24AM
Subject: symptom table
No previous message | Next message →

Hi folks, need your opinion/input please :)

We have a table in an article where there are "X"s in the cells where a symptom applies to one condition or another - you can see it here:
http://appledoremedicalgroup.com/about/newsroom/heat-exhaustion-and-heat-stroke-how-to-avoid-getting-overheated-this-summer

Is it OK to leave these as X, or would it be best to change them to yes/no or use a label or something?? We want to make sure this thing makes sense.

Thanks!!

Diane R Tomlins
HCA IT&S | Digital Media
Accessibility SME

Date: Thu, Jun 22 2017 8:44AM
Subject: Re: symptom table
← Previous message | Next message →

I think the X is a common convention. Remember, a sighted person just has an X to go on same as a blind person using a screen reader would.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Tomlins Diane
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:25 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] symptom table

We have a table in an article where there are "X"s in the cells where a symptom applies to one condition or another - you can see it here:
http://appledoremedicalgroup.com/about/newsroom/heat-exhaustion-and-heat-stroke-how-to-avoid-getting-overheated-this-summer

Is it OK to leave these as X, or would it be best to change them to yes/no or use a label or something?? We want to make sure this thing makes sense.

Thanks!!

Diane R Tomlins
HCA IT&S | Digital Media
Accessibility SME

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Thu, Jun 22 2017 4:54PM
← Previous message | Next message →

Wouldn't this be considered an abbreviation?

https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/meaning-located.html

If using a magnifier, it may be easier to hear 'No blurred vision during heat exhaustion- and 'Possible blurred vision during heat stroke- than moving the screen up and down to see column headers. The responsive design reflowed the document width to always fit my screen, so column headers weren't a problem.

It would remove confusion for those who may not be familiar with what you are attempting to relay, or if they hold their mouse over the image the alt text should popup and inform the user. There's great image checkmarks and X's available online for beautifying that table.

The 'Back to Top- button that appears on the page is intrusive to users with magnifying software and covers a good portion of the right hand side of the screen once I've enlarged it to 200%. The top menu also takes up a large portion of the page once enlarged.

Best,

Joshua

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:44 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] symptom table

I think the X is a common convention. Remember, a sighted person just has an X to go on same as a blind person using a screen reader would.

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Tomlins Diane

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:25 AM

To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >>

Subject: [WebAIM] symptom table

Thanks!!

Diane R Tomlins

HCA IT&S | Digital Media

Accessibility SME

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Tue, Jun 27 2017 2:27PM
← Previous message | No next message

Thank for your input folks.

Joshua, this was my thinking too, which is why I asked. While the X might be a recognizable convention, would it be more helpful to add something like what you mentioned.

>Wouldn't this be considered an abbreviation?

>If using a magnifier, it may be easier to hear 'No blurred vision during heat exhaustion- and 'Possible blurred vision during heat stroke- than moving the screen up and down to see column headers. The responsive design reflowed the document width to always fit my screen, so column headers weren't a problem.

As for your other observation:
>The 'Back to Top- button that appears on the page is intrusive to users with magnifying software and covers a good portion of the right hand side of the screen once I've enlarged it to 200%. The top menu also takes up a large portion of the page once enlarged.

I appreciate the feedback. We are actively working on accessibility improvements so it's good to have that input. Not sure I'll get them away from that 'back to top' button, or the space-heavy navigation area, but I can make the issue known.

Diane R Tomlins
HCA IT&S | Digital Media
Accessibility SME

>Wouldn't this be considered an abbreviation?

>If using a magnifier, it may be easier to hear 'No blurred vision during heat exhaustion- and 'Possible blurred vision during heat stroke- than moving the screen up and down to see column headers. The responsive design reflowed the document width to always fit my screen, so column headers weren't a problem.

>It would remove confusion for those who may not be familiar with what you are attempting to relay, or if they hold their mouse over the image the alt text should popup and inform the user. There's great image checkmarks and X's available online for beautifying that table.

>The 'Back to Top- button that appears on the page is intrusive to users with magnifying software and covers a good portion of the right hand side of the screen once I've enlarged it to 200%. The top menu also takes up a large portion of the page once enlarged.

Best,
Joshua