WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Revolution slider question

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Feb 26 2018 12:43PM
Subject: Revolution slider question
No previous message | Next message →

I have a group using a revolving slider, and they love it. The slide itself is a DIV with a title; it includes an image with an ALT, and link. There's no text for the href so the screen readers read the URL when they get to the slide. There is no way to give the URL text or a title attribute within the CMS. Accessibility tools are reporting "Empty link". If the URL itself is descriptive, is that sufficient for compliance? Is there another option besides removing the slider, which my people really are fighting against?

Thanks.

Joseph

Date: Mon, Feb 26 2018 12:50PM
Subject: Re: Revolution slider question
← Previous message | Next message →

You might be able to use an aria-label to get around the empty link issue... Are screen readers picking up the empty anchor?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Joseph Sherman
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 2:44 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] Revolution slider question

I have a group using a revolving slider, and they love it. The slide itself is a DIV with a title; it includes an image with an ALT, and link. There's no text for the href so the screen readers read the URL when they get to the slide. There is no way to give the URL text or a title attribute within the CMS. Accessibility tools are reporting "Empty link". If the URL itself is descriptive, is that sufficient for compliance? Is there another option besides removing the slider, which my people really are fighting against?

Thanks.

Joseph

Date: Mon, Feb 26 2018 1:32PM

The CMS does not allow for ARIA-Label or any ARIA. It's a plug in for WordPress. The screen readers read the last section of the URL. So if the URL for the slide is w3.school.edu/admissions/about/John-Doe-wins-award, they read "John-Doe-wins-award", which is an adequate description of where the link/slide takes you.

Joseph

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Revolution slider question

You might be able to use an aria-label to get around the empty link issue... Are screen readers picking up the empty anchor?

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Joseph Sherman

I have a group using a revolving slider, and they love it. The slide itself is a DIV with a title; it includes an image with an ALT, and a link. There's no text for the href so the screen readers read the URL when they get to the slide. There is no way to give the URL text or a title attribute within the CMS. Accessibility tools are reporting "Empty link". If the URL itself is descriptive, is that sufficient for compliance? Is there another option besides removing the slider, which my people really are fighting against?

Thanks.

Joseph

Date: Mon, Feb 26 2018 1:41PM

That is a heuristic used by some screen readers when there is no accessible name. You cannot rely on it to work with all assistive technologies (it definitely won't work with screen magnifiers or voice recognition software) and it is a definite WCAG non-compliance.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

Sent: 26 February 2018 20:33

The CMS does not allow for ARIA-Label or any ARIA. It's a plug in for WordPress. The screen readers read the last section of the URL. So if the URL for the slide is w3.school.edu/admissions/about/John-Doe-wins-award, they read "John-Doe-wins-award", which is an adequate description of where the link/slide takes you.

Joseph

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 2:51 PM

I have a group using a revolving slider, and they love it. The slide itself is a DIV with a title; it includes an image with an ALT, and a link. There's no text for the href so the screen readers read the URL when they get to the slide. There is no way to give the URL text or a title attribute within the CMS. Accessibility tools are reporting "Empty link". If the URL itself is descriptive, is that sufficient for compliance? Is there another option besides removing the slider, which my people really are fighting against?

Thanks.

Joseph

Date: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:42PM
← Previous message | No next message

Joseph,

Sending my condolences. There must be other slider plug-ins for Wordpress. I would offer to 1) show them some quick tests they can do to evaluate a replacement and/or 2) offer to do some testing for them, before they get their hearts set on something that can't be made to work. I see you have an EDU address, so this is a legal requirement for them, and "really liking" something won't help much if a complaint is filed. Not even really, really liking it!

sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of IT Accessibility
Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS)
1 Ashburton Place, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02108
Office: (617) 626-4502
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = | www.mass.gov/eotss