WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: JAWS and lists

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, May 14 2018 11:44AM
Subject: JAWS and lists
No previous message | Next message →

Does anyone know why JAWS ignores list semantics when you tab through it as
opposed to using arrow buttons? Just wondering if this is a defect or a
feature. NVDA announces either way. Example:

<h1>A List</h1>

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Link 1</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Link 2</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Link 3</a></li>

</ul>

Date: Mon, May 14 2018 12:16PM
Subject: Re: JAWS and lists
← Previous message | Next message →

Normally we Tab through links and form controls, not general text. We use the arrow keys either on their own or in combination with the Ctrl key to move through text.

For navigating and reading lists, you would use Ctrl + Up or Down Arrow to move to and read the next or previous list item, the Up or Down Arrows on their own to move to and read the previous or next line...which would not read the entire list item but rather go through the lines in a list item.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of R.U. Steinberg
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 1:45 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS and lists

Does anyone know why JAWS ignores list semantics when you tab through it as opposed to using arrow buttons? Just wondering if this is a defect or a feature. NVDA announces either way. Example:

<h1>A List</h1>

<ul>

<li><a href="#">Link 1</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Link 2</a></li>

<li><a href="#">Link 3</a></li>

</ul>

Date: Tue, May 15 2018 6:24AM
Subject: Re: JAWS and lists
← Previous message | No next message

Carlin,

I am assuming you do not have the SmartNav feature turned on? Though I like SmartNav, I think it would probably be confusing to some people. I would love to have a chance to work with more folks at seeing how they use screen readers.

In general:

Also new in JAWS 2018 is the ability to adjust Virtual Cursor verbosity. This might effect your list issue, and I am fairly certain I could use adjustments in this verbosity area to reduce double speaking when sections or figures are consistently labeled with visible headers/captions.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On May 14, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Karlen Communications < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Normally we Tab through links and form controls, not general text. We use the arrow keys either on their own or in combination with the Ctrl key to move through text.
>
> For navigating and reading lists, you would use Ctrl + Up or Down Arrow to move to and read the next or previous list item, the Up or Down Arrows on their own to move to and read the previous or next line...which would not read the entire list item but rather go through the lines in a list item.
>
> Cheers, Karen
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of R.U. Steinberg
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 1:45 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] JAWS and lists
>
> Does anyone know why JAWS ignores list semantics when you tab through it as opposed to using arrow buttons? Just wondering if this is a defect or a feature. NVDA announces either way. Example:
>
> <h1>A List</h1>
>
> <ul>
>
> <li><a href="#">Link 1</a></li>
>
> <li><a href="#">Link 2</a></li>
>
> <li><a href="#">Link 3</a></li>
>
> </ul>