WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Thu, Aug 16 2018 11:03AM
Subject: Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText
No previous message | Next message →

Does anyone have any insight into the behaviour of Fusion compared with JAWS and ZoomText? In particular, I am interested in any differences that might be relevant when doing an expert review or user testing. If Fusion is significantly different, there's a case for testing with it in addition to JAWS and ZoomText, but just how different is it?

The Freedom Scientific website tells us virtually nothing, although it hints that AppReader and DocReader might have been replaced by JAWS. Or maybe they haven't.

Apart from having a single installer and better support and training materials I can't see any difference. That's actually a good thing if it's true, because it means we don't need to but it.

Also, does anyone have any insight into the product roadmap? Will Fusion become a premium product with features you can't get on JAWS or ZoomText?

Regards,
Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd
020 3002 4176 (direct)
0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
07957 246 276 (mobile)
020 7692 5517 (fax)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
www.testpartners.co.uk

Connect to me on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevegreen2

Date: Thu, Aug 16 2018 11:47AM
Subject: Re: Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Steve:
I found the following page that might answer your questions.
https://www.zoomtext.com/fusion-info-en/
It seems that you have a choice of using ZoomText, Zoomtext fusion or Jaws. Each has its own shortcut.
You can also specify Speech, Speech on demand or Silent modes.
Toward the end of the document there is a heading covering zoomtext features not available in Fusion.
HTH
David

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 01:03 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText

Does anyone have any insight into the behaviour of Fusion compared with JAWS and ZoomText? In particular, I am interested in any differences that might be relevant when doing an expert review or user testing. If Fusion is significantly different, there's a case for testing with it in addition to JAWS and ZoomText, but just how different is it?

Date: Thu, Aug 16 2018 11:49AM

My understanding is that at this point it's a license for both and that if you were to buy both and run both at the same time you would get the same experience. I could be wrong -- but this was what I understood from reading the site. I don't have details on whether when both are detected the UI or options change in one or both of the apps.

Jonathan

Jonathan

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:03 PM

The Freedom Scientific website tells us virtually nothing, although it hints that AppReader and DocReader might have been replaced by JAWS. Or maybe they haven't.

Apart from having a single installer and better support and training materials I can't see any difference. That's actually a good thing if it's true, because it means we don't need to but it.

Also, does anyone have any insight into the product roadmap? Will Fusion become a premium product with features you can't get on JAWS or ZoomText?

Regards,
Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd
020 3002 4176 (direct)
0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
07957 246 276 (mobile)
020 7692 5517 (fax)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
www.testpartners.co.uk

Connect to me on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevegreen2

Date: Thu, Aug 16 2018 12:00PM

Thanks David - I had not come across that page. At the top it explains the speech options. If you run only ZoomText, you still have AppReader and DocReader. However, if you run Fusion, you can use JAWS instead of AppReader and DocReader.

So it looks as if it is sufficient to test with JAWS and ZoomText separately, unless anyone has any experiences to the contrary.

Steve

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Farough, David (CFP/PSC)
Sent: 16 August 2018 18:47
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText

Hi Steve:
I found the following page that might answer your questions.
https://www.zoomtext.com/fusion-info-en/
It seems that you have a choice of using ZoomText, Zoomtext fusion or Jaws. Each has its own shortcut.
You can also specify Speech, Speech on demand or Silent modes.
Toward the end of the document there is a heading covering zoomtext features not available in Fusion.
HTH
David

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 01:03 PM

Date: Sat, Aug 18 2018 8:42AM
← Previous message | No next message

Matt Ater also told me last CSUN that they are indistinguishable from the standalones.

I've got Fusion but because it's on a new Win10 machine I went with the Microsoft voices rather than Eloquence so switching to Narrator wouldn't sound too different.
Same as when I had them separately, ZT remembers my language choices while JAWS needs me to set it every time I start it up. I've got three different icons on my desktop: if I choose the Fusion icon then I basically get a wordier ZT with JAWS commands. Since I use this mostly for testing (tho I like ZT for myself), I tend to run one or the other and not the Fusion option.

They've made some changes to the ZT bar, I was using ZT 10.1 on my Win7 machine, so not sure which is ZT changes vs Fusion changes, but I suspect they're just ZT changes I would have gotten had I simply upgraded.

So far I don't notice JAWS being different now than my standalone 2018-january version, except I've got a different synth and they've been making some changes since January anyway. That said, I've never been a hardcore JAWS user, and mostly web-only.

cheers,
Mallory

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018, at 8:00 PM, Steve Green wrote:
> Thanks David - I had not come across that page. At the top it explains
> the speech options. If you run only ZoomText, you still have AppReader
> and DocReader. However, if you run Fusion, you can use JAWS instead of
> AppReader and DocReader.
>
> So it looks as if it is sufficient to test with JAWS and ZoomText
> separately, unless anyone has any experiences to the contrary.
>
> Steve
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of
> Farough, David (CFP/PSC)
> Sent: 16 August 2018 18:47
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText
>
> Hi Steve:
> I found the following page that might answer your questions.
> https://www.zoomtext.com/fusion-info-en/
> It seems that you have a choice of using ZoomText, Zoomtext fusion or
> Jaws. Each has its own shortcut.
> You can also specify Speech, Speech on demand or Silent modes.
> Toward the end of the document there is a heading covering zoomtext
> features not available in Fusion.
> HTH
> David
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf Of Steve Green
> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 01:03 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Fusion vs JAWS and ZoomText
>
> Does anyone have any insight into the behaviour of Fusion compared with
> JAWS and ZoomText? In particular, I am interested in any differences
> that might be relevant when doing an expert review or user testing. If
> Fusion is significantly different, there's a case for testing with it in
> addition to JAWS and ZoomText, but just how different is it?
> > > at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > >