WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread:

for

Number of posts in this thread: 1 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Oct 09 2019 3:18AM
Subject:
No previous message | No next message

My experience of user testing with Dragon users is slightly at odds with what you describe. For a start, we see several different approaches to navigation. Many people say "click link" all the time because it means they don't have to think about what keywords to use and they know it will always work. For them, the low cognitive load and certainty of behaviour is worth the extra effort of needing to give the second command.

Then there are people who try to use the entire link text in their command. That might sound like a good idea but they often make a mistake and end up having to try several times if the link text is more than a few words. That ends up being really inefficient.

The most efficient approach is to use the shortest possible phrase that uniquely identifies the link you want, but it is quite a cognitive load to keep doing that. I suspect that only power users would do this on a sustained basis.

I have never heard anyone complain at having to take two steps to operate a link. Dragon users typically have much more significant problems to deal with, such as interactive elements not being identified as either links or buttons.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd