WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: PDF Reflow oddness in Adobe Acrobat/Reader

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Jun 30 2020 5:06PM
Subject: PDF Reflow oddness in Adobe Acrobat/Reader
No previous message | Next message →

Hi PDF experts, I've noticed that some documents (in particular ones created from Mac Adobe Illustrator) won't reflow unless I blow away all of the tags and re-tag. The documents do have multiple layers and transparency - but turning those off and combining layers doesn't seem to solve the issue. In addition, the document tags and properties are editable - until reflow in Adobe Acrobat/Reader is enabled (although it doesn't reflow). Once reflow is enabled the document suddenly becomes not editable, the title can't be changed, tags can't be change and the items in the touch up reading order disappear from the reading order view. Any ideas? Initialization of reflow in Acrobat seems to trigger the document going into a different mode. The PDF seems to be in the PDF/X standard although converting to PDF/A doesn't seem to address the issue (unless the tags are removed and added).

Jonathan

Date: Tue, Jun 30 2020 5:23PM
Subject: Re: PDF Reflow oddness in Adobe Acrobat/Reader
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting...PDF/A should lock the document (although you can get
around it). Can you convert the Illustrator doc just to plain PDF? if
so, do you see the same issues?

PDF/X is used usually (in my experience, others may vary) just for
printing, so would it lock things down to keep the PDF 'pristine'?

Cheers

Lisa

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM Jonathan Avila
< = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hi PDF experts, I've noticed that some documents (in particular ones created from Mac Adobe Illustrator) won't reflow unless I blow away all of the tags and re-tag. The documents do have multiple layers and transparency - but turning those off and combining layers doesn't seem to solve the issue. In addition, the document tags and properties are editable - until reflow in Adobe Acrobat/Reader is enabled (although it doesn't reflow). Once reflow is enabled the document suddenly becomes not editable, the title can't be changed, tags can't be change and the items in the touch up reading order disappear from the reading order view. Any ideas? Initialization of reflow in Acrobat seems to trigger the document going into a different mode. The PDF seems to be in the PDF/X standard although converting to PDF/A doesn't seem to address the issue (unless the tags are removed and added).
>
> Jonathan
> > > >

Date: Mon, Jul 06 2020 9:01AM
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Lisa, thanks - I don't have access to the original but removing the tags completely and adding them again does address the issue -- I guess that's why some folks automatically always remove tags from documents and just re-tag (if they don't have access to the source).

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of L Snider
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:24 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF Reflow oddness in Adobe Acrobat/Reader

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting...PDF/A should lock the document (although you can get around it). Can you convert the Illustrator doc just to plain PDF? if so, do you see the same issues?

PDF/X is used usually (in my experience, others may vary) just for printing, so would it lock things down to keep the PDF 'pristine'?

Cheers

Lisa

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hi PDF experts, I've noticed that some documents (in particular ones created from Mac Adobe Illustrator) won't reflow unless I blow away all of the tags and re-tag. The documents do have multiple layers and transparency - but turning those off and combining layers doesn't seem to solve the issue. In addition, the document tags and properties are editable - until reflow in Adobe Acrobat/Reader is enabled (although it doesn't reflow). Once reflow is enabled the document suddenly becomes not editable, the title can't be changed, tags can't be change and the items in the touch up reading order disappear from the reading order view. Any ideas? Initialization of reflow in Acrobat seems to trigger the document going into a different mode. The PDF seems to be in the PDF/X standard although converting to PDF/A doesn't seem to address the issue (unless the tags are removed and added).
>
> Jonathan
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>

Date: Mon, Jul 06 2020 9:10AM
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Jonathan,

I think it was the PDF/X preventing anything from showing. I know
PDF/A does that because it is meant to be archival and 'not touched'.

Depends, if you create something accessibility in InDesign there is
very little work (versions 2018 and on) in Acrobat, and even Word
usually does pretty well (this depends on version). However, yes in
many cases it is quicker to get rid of all and start again. Although
it depends on tables, lists, etc. as those have to be hand done
(usually).

Glad it worked!

Cheers

Lisa

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 12:01 PM Jonathan Avila
< = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hi Lisa, thanks - I don't have access to the original but removing the tags completely and adding them again does address the issue -- I guess that's why some folks automatically always remove tags from documents and just re-tag (if they don't have access to the source).
>
> Jonathan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of L Snider
> Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:24 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF Reflow oddness in Adobe Acrobat/Reader
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Interesting...PDF/A should lock the document (although you can get around it). Can you convert the Illustrator doc just to plain PDF? if so, do you see the same issues?
>
> PDF/X is used usually (in my experience, others may vary) just for printing, so would it lock things down to keep the PDF 'pristine'?
>
> Cheers
>
> Lisa
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> >
> > Hi PDF experts, I've noticed that some documents (in particular ones created from Mac Adobe Illustrator) won't reflow unless I blow away all of the tags and re-tag. The documents do have multiple layers and transparency - but turning those off and combining layers doesn't seem to solve the issue. In addition, the document tags and properties are editable - until reflow in Adobe Acrobat/Reader is enabled (although it doesn't reflow). Once reflow is enabled the document suddenly becomes not editable, the title can't be changed, tags can't be change and the items in the touch up reading order disappear from the reading order view. Any ideas? Initialization of reflow in Acrobat seems to trigger the document going into a different mode. The PDF seems to be in the PDF/X standard although converting to PDF/A doesn't seem to address the issue (unless the tags are removed and added).
> >
> > Jonathan
> > > > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > > > > > >