E-mail List Archives

Re: internet explorer crashes when running jaws

for

From: Christophe Strobbe
Date: Dec 20, 2008 6:40AM


At 23:25 10/12/2008, Moore, Michael wrote:
>I think that you need to reconsider your test environment. JAWS does not
>offer ARIA support (active regions) prior to version 10 and Internet
>Explorer does not support ARIA prior to version 8. If you are attempting
>to achieve accessibility within an AJAX application without implementing
>ARIA you are unlikely to achieve much success.

Even if older versions don't support ARIA, that still doesn't imply
that it is OK to crash on ARIA code.
Upgrading to the latest versions of JAWS and Internet Explorer may
solve the issue for Dallas, but that doesn't mean it's been solved
for other users who haven't upgraded or can't upgrade.

Best regards,

Christophe

>(...)
>Mike
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
>[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Despain,
>Dallas
>Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:15 PM
>To: WebAIM Discussion List
>Subject: [WebAIM] internet explorer crashes when running jaws
>
>Within the context of a large ajaxy web project, I found that our web
>pages were causing Internet Explorer 7 to crash when using our web pages
>with Jaws 9.0 (couldn't reproduce with Jaws 6.1 and there is no problem
>when JAWS is not ther.). I have tracked down the line of javascript
>that
>causes the problem, and narrowed it down to a very simple test case:
>
>top.location = "#" +
>"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa";
>
>this line can be triggered by any event such as onload or onclick. Jaws
>keeps running, but Internet Explorer dies . I think it's a memory
>problem, so the length of the string you're adding (in my case "aaa...")
>will vary. On my machine, it seems to be a problem if the total length
>of the url gets over about 425
>
>Has anyone ever seen this before?
>
>Thanks,
>Dalls
>
>p.s.
>
>more info below:
>
>Once as I was testing, Visual Studio happened to capture the Internet
>Explorer error:
>
>"A buffer overrun has occurred in iexplore.exe which has corrupted the
>program's internal state. Press Break to debug the program or Continue
>to terminate the program.
>
>For more details please see Help topic 'How to debug Buffer Overrun
>Issues'."
>
>I've also tried other methods of modifying the location object such as:
> //top.location.hash = toAdd;
> //top.location =
>top.location.href + "#" + toAdd;
> //top.location =
>top.location.href + "#" +
>"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa";
>
>//top.location.assign(top.location.href + "#" + toAdd);
> //top.location = "#" +
>toAdd;
>
>Here's the entire html file I'm using as my test case:
>
>I am a test
>
>Dallas Despain | RightNow Technologies | Developer | 406-556-3454 | Salt
>Lake City, UT

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Dept. of Electrical Engineering - SCD
Research Group on Document Architectures
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
http://www.docarch.be/
---
Please don't invite me to LinkedIn, Facebook, Quechup or other
"social networks". You may have agreed to their "privacy policy", but
I haven't.


Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm