WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: css off

for

Date: Sep 4, 2009 12:55PM

Hi Yucca,

I guess I just thought that if TEITAC says "Style sheets are well-supported. What is needed instead is a provision on reading order" (http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/report/#81)
Then that's the argument for it. Technologies change, and if AT supports style sheets well, why not use them as part of a well thought-out, Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, and Robust accessible offering designed for real people who want access to information on the web?

I'm not sure why my interest in accessibility is being questioned. Isn't that why I'm on this list? I am interested in all people being able to participate in the incredible potential that the web has to offer whether they are using assistive technology or not. I've been building web sites and working to make them accessible for 8 years. I want to see the web move forward and accessibility with it. The web is no longer just a collection of links to documents containing text. I want to see us implement technologies that allow us to build richer and richer accessible internet applications designed with the user in mind.

Yucca, you and I may have a difference of opinion, but we are on the same team.

Dallas

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jukka K. Korpela
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:42 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] css off

Despain, Dallas wrote:

> The css off rule should really be about reading order.

Why? I saw no good arguments for that. It's a very limited view on
accessibility.

> So long term perhaps we can rely on css and be accessible!

Only for odd values for "accessible".

> That was what I was trying to find out when I first asked my question
> about web2.0 dialogs and css off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Are you really interested in accessibility, or in complying with some
"accessibility rules" (as interpreted rather arbitrarily)?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/