WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Color Contrast Tools and VPATs

for

Date: Sep 10, 2009 3:35PM

Thanks, Kathy.

Our software approval policy requires that we have the vendor's statement as to whether the product is accessible. We do not yet have a final decision on what that means when the software is free, so I am having to check out all possibilities. (It's one thing for me to assert that software is accessible; it's quite another for its developer to do so.) And I'm pretty sure that I'm having to run these traps so we can be sure we don't establish a loophole so big you could drive a truck through it. ;-)

I guess I should have added these two points:
1. Because our designers have to check color contrast in a variety of applications, they need something to use with files that can't be easily loaded into a browser.
2. Because they work on Macs and IE is no longer viable for Mac OS, add-ons for the IE toolbar are out of the question.

If Gez does have a VPAT, and if his FireFox add-on works with Macs (a few of my favorites in Windows don't), then we could use that for their Web designs and illustrations.

Cliff

>>> Kathy Keller < <EMAIL REMOVED> > 09/10/09 11:44 AM >>>
Cliff,
What about Gez Lemon's tool that is on the Web Developer Toolbar for IE? It is an online application, it's free and it's accessible. I would not think a VPAT would be necessary for a free and accessible online application. Dunno. Let's see if Gez has a VPAT for that.
Gez, do you have a VPAT for the color tool?
Kathy Keller Matejek
Accessibility and Disability Rights Coordinator
Texas Governor's Committee on People with Disabilities
http://www.governor.state.tx.us<;http://www.governor.state.tx.us/>;
512-463-5741 or Relay Texas 711
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Cliff Tyllick
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:02 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> ; <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [Accessibility_sig] Color Contrast Tools and VPATs

Here's an interesting wrinkle: We would like to equip our designers with a color contrast analysis tool so they can check their color schemes themselves. Of course, money is no problem, as there are a number of free tools available from all around the world.

But new software must first be approved by our agency's Internet Technology Working Group, and one requirement for all new software is that it must have a valid VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) on file.

Before I start digging for contacts, I thought I would just ask those who might already know: Is there a color contrast analysis tool out there whose creator has already prepared a VPAT? If so, which one (or ones)?

Apologies in advance for the cross-posting. I'm hoping to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Thanks!

Cliff Tyllick
Web development coordinator
Agency Communications Division
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
512-239-4516
<EMAIL REMOVED>