WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Best way to single out 3 to 5 "most accessible" sites out of a list of 60 or so

for

Date: Jan 12, 2013 6:58AM

Yes, using an automatic tool is a possible cheap way to go but be aware
of the fact that what you get in return is not necessarily a measure of
accessibility.
See for example an experiment we did a while ago:
http://markelvigo.info/papers/metrics11_IwC.pdf
Best regards

Giorgio Brajnik
Dip. di Matematica e Informatica | voice: +39 (0432) 55.8445
Università di Udine | fax: +39 (0432) 55.8499
Via delle Scienze, 206 | email: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Loc. Rizzi -- 33100 Udine -- ITALY | http://www.dimi.uniud.it/giorgio

On 01/11/2013 10:15 PM, Don Mauck wrote:
> Which tool are you going to use? There seem to be so many that do things differently.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lucy Greco [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
> Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 11:44 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Best way to single out 3 to 5 "most accessible" sites out of a list of 60 or so
>
> I like your idea of using the tool and then taking the top 5 from that. I really think that is the only way to wade through the list. But make sure when you give the award that is what they know you did. Lucy
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R.
> Gunnarsson
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:20 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: [WebAIM] Best way to single out 3 to 5 "most accessible" sites out of a list of 60 or so
>
> Hey gang
>
> I know, I am usually not a frequent poster, but a new year brings interesting challenges, especially when you are pretty much the only accessibility person in a country like Iceland (I actually live in the U.S. but it is a long story).
>
> I was sent an email today. The Icelandic Web professionals association is having a big award ceremony on February the 8th, where they present awards in several categories (most innovative website, most user-friendly, coolest design etc.).
> The shortlist consists of around 60 websites.
> This year they want to draw attention to the need for accessibility, so they asked me if I could select the most accessible web, or a web worth an accessibility award, out of that group.
> Iceland has agreed to adopt the WCAG 2.0 AA compliance level by 2015.
>
> I have used various toolbars and online accessibility testing tools and such, and would know what to do for one or two websites with complete accessibility evaluation.
> But I have never before been presented with the prospect of evaluating
> 60 websites in a short time.
> My thought is that the nly achievable (though not ideal) way would be to use an online accessibility checker on the site's front pages, WCAG
> 2.0 AA level.
> Out of that experiment, take the 5 or so highest scores, and evaluate the accessibility of these in more detail, through a combination of manual testing and testing tools (including some of the most popular sub pages).
> If anyone has an idea, thought or recommendation to shre with me, I would highly appreciate it.
> I have to decide in a matter of days whether I can do this job, i.e.
> whether this award can be presented.
> I even get to meet the president of Iceland (ok, Ihave met him at a grocery store, it is that kind of country).
> Cheers and thanks to all, especiallly those who give me a clue as to what to do.
> -B
> > >
> > > > > >