WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Making A Better CAPTCHA For the Visually Impaired And Making Captions More Available To The Hearing Impaired

for

Date: Apr 18, 2013 8:39AM

Personally if I could have the power to outlaw anything on the internet it would be captcha. I don't care what people think, using audio is ridiculous since most audio files are virtually impossible to understand even for those of us with the best of hearing. Making it in Braille assumes that most people can afford a Braille display of some kind and even for those who use a screen magnification program have a very difficult time of reading that elusive text. Sites that insist upon using Captcha are in my mind purposely excluding all kind of visual impaired people whether knowingly or unknowingly it does not matter. I submit that with all the coding, security and other tricks available to developers, find a better way or forget about me and probably many, many others of using and or endorsing your web site. This is my opinion and while others may dispute it, my opinion is not likely to change unless given substantial proof otherwise.