E-mail List Archives

Re: Should a web site look and read the same

for

Date: May 6, 2013 8:26PM

Greg, please make them adjustable. It would be unreasonable for me to
deny graphics to others, but I think it reasonable to ask a way to
remove an elemrnt that hurts my eyes and prevents me from reading
adjacent copy.

Alas, I will miss rhis because I will be away for a week.
George

On 5/6/2013 2:50 PM, Greg Gamble wrote:
> All,
> Don't know if this has been discussed before, but ...
>
> Should a web site Look and Read the same for both sighted users and those using assistive technology?
>
> I ask for a few reasons ..
>
>
> * Assistive users want/need extra text that we usually hide off screen ...
>
> * Form presentation can be different, such as
>
> o marking required fields
>
> o using input masks to restrict input
>
> o tool tips
>
> o modal popups
>
> o ... and other "Web 2.0" features.
>
> I understand the reasoning to make sites more accessible, and totally agree with it. But I also hear that we should make it so there is no extra or missing content for either type of user, that they should both be getting the same experience ... that I have a problem with. Individuals using assistive technology, no matter what the type, in my opinion, are going to have a different experience. For example, I've lost my sense of smell so can't experience the smell of a new rose. But I can see its beauty. My wife can experience both. I like them for what they look like, she on how they smell and look ... different experience's.
>
> So ... I, as a developer, should try and minimize the differences in a sites functionally, but what about the rest?
>
> Thanks for any help on this ...
>
> Greg Gamble
> Information Services> Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
> 1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, Washington 98504
> p: (360) 704-4376
> e: <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > | www.sbctc.edu<;http://www.sbctc.edu/>;
>
> > > >