E-mail List Archives
Re: Null ALT in Office
From: Jukka K. Korpela
Date: May 29, 2013 8:03AM
- Next message: Pratik Patel: "Re: Null ALT in Office"
- Previous message: Whitney Quesenbery: "Re: Null ALT in Office"
- Next message in Thread: Pratik Patel: "Re: Null ALT in Office"
- Previous message in Thread: Whitney Quesenbery: "Re: Null ALT in Office"
- View all messages in this Thread
2013-05-29 15:20, Whitney Quesenbery wrote:
> A small correction: you don't have to select "size" but "format
> picture" (or shape or object). Alt text is in the format panel in all of
> the Microsoft Office products
When I wrote about selecting "size", it was actually based on
back-translating from the Finnish text in the version of MS Word 2007
I'm using, in a situation where I had inserted an image from a file.
This could be a localization difference. But in the same version, if I
add e.g. a ClipArt image, then the contextual menu (right-click menu)
does not have a "size" entry, but it has a "format" entry (well, the
Finnish language equivalent).
So MS Office isn't very consistent in the way the alt text can be added.
And in both of these cases, this function is in a menu that otherwise
deals with the visual appearance of the image (and is named according to
that). I think this is because adding alt text has been added as an
afterthought rather than a well-planned feature.