WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Web based screen readers

for

Date: Jun 18, 2013 4:22AM

Mary,

I think it can be useful as long as the people implementing it understand what it can't and can do.

You can create an accessible site without using this feature. This feature alone won't make a site accessible or conformant to Section 508 or WCAG 2.0.

It won't benefit people using screen readers, because they will already be using their screen readers to read the page. In fact, I would go as far as to state that anyone that requires some kind of audio output to read web content will likely already be using a tool that provides that functionality--since users can't depend on most sites implementing that feature.

However, to use a web metaphor, disability isn't a checkbox, but more like a slider. Somewhere in the middle, people transition from not using any AT to using AT to assist them as they use the web. So, there always will be at least a few people, who could really benefit from using AT, but don't have it so that the feature is extremely useful to them. Also, it surprises me how many people I know that actually prefer listening to content rather than reading it--particularly lengthy passages of text. Some of those people may have disabilities, but not all of them by any means.

My own opinion is that you look at it as an enhancement. It might have some place in your site that will enhance its accessibility, but it probably won't be all that useful if core elements of accessibility aren't addressed first.

Thanks!
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Mary Novello
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:43 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Web based screen readers

Hi everyone,

I'm noticing more and more government websites are adding "Listen to this
page" links to their websites which opens a player that reads out what is on
the page.

Does anyone have experience with using this type of product on their site,