WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PowerPoint accessibility-alt question

for

Date: Apr 24, 2014 9:00PM

> Does Windows include a Microsoft PDF viewer app by default that reads tagged, accessible PDFs?

Windows 8 is the first (I believe) Windows to include a default PDF viewer. I would not expect support for accessibility out of the egg with such software, not least because Windows users are already conditioned over the past 21 years to install 3rd part software (such as Adobe's Reader) to view PDF files.

Mac OS is a very different story.

> I thought Adobe Reader/Acrobat was the only way to view tagged PDFs with a screen reader on Windows?

Jonathan reported Nuance’s reader as working with JAWS. My understanding (that I have yet to confirm) is that Nitro’s reader also includes an accessibility API.

It’s up to each software manufacturer to take advantage of tagged PDF in their own software.

> Apple should totally make PDF's accessible directly in Preview but it also seems like Adobe could make Reader for OS X read tagged PDFs like they did for Reader on Windows.

No argument from me. I'm simply clarifying that it’s Apple’s choice whether or not to support tagged PDF in their own PDF viewer. What Adobe does or does not do isn’t relevant except with respect to their own software.

> PDFs are not accessible on iOS or Android either.

Once again… this is more properly stated as:

"Apple does not yet choose to support accessible with the default PDF viewer on iOS”, and
“Android developers have not yet chosen to support accessible PDF with their PDF readers."

Why am I being pedantic about how the problem is characterized? Accessible PDF is a reality. The question is: does a given developer support accessible PDF with product X on platform Y.

I’m trying to make these things as crystal-clear as possible so advocates may be armed with the most accurate information when discussing these subjects with software developers.

> Is that Apple & Google's fault or Adobe’s?

Answers...

- Apple at this time chooses not to support accessible PDF with their default PDF viewer (Preview) for Mac OS and iOS.

- Does Android even have a built-in PDF viewer? If so then Google is indeed responsible for ensuring their software supports accessible PDF.

- Adobe is responsible for Adobe’s software. They are not responsible for software they don’t produce.

> Seems like Adobe could make Reader apps for iOS and Android that read tagged PDFs if they wanted to.

They could (and should) modify Acrobat and Reader for Mac OS to support accessible PDF - no question about it.

> I think we can definitely blame Microsoft for not making MS Office accessible on OS X right!?

Yes, because it’s their software. One does not hold a company responsible for another company’s software...

> At least we always have the universally accessible, HTML format that works on ANY platform ;)

As Olaf said, that's apples vs. oranges.

Duff.