WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Seeking examples of universities with a centralized approach to accessibility/disability issues

for

Date: Aug 14, 2014 11:40AM

At University of Illinois in Urbana/Champaign it is the responsibility of the "Office of Diversity, Equity and Access", although a lot of people with questions or access requests also contact Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES).

http://diversity.illinois.edu/

Jon Gunderson

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of MULLIN, WENDY
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:21 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Seeking examples of universities with a centralized approach to accessibility/disability issues

Hi everyone -

Does anyone have any examples of colleges or universities that have a centralized approach to handling accessibility/disability issues?

Our University has a great Student Disability Office (for students). Other than students (who have the Student Disability Office), it is not always clear or well-known who a person should contact with questions about accessibility/disability related-issues. We also have processes in place for non-students - faculty/staff, visitors, etc. - but some of these process are either not well-known or not well-defined.

I'm on a subcommittee at our University that would like to propose (to our administration) a more centralized approach to handling accessibility and disability issues. Something that would make it easier for an individual - no matter who that person is (student/staff/faculty/parent/visitor) - to contact the University about any questions or issues related to accessibility/disabilities and to receive appropriate help.

I'm looking for examples of any college or university that has a centralized approach to addressing accessibility and disability issues. (Note: I'm referring to all types of accessibility - physical accessibility, electronic and web accessibility, etc.)

Any examples would be welcome, even if they only apply to specific areas - such as web accessibility.

Thanks. (Please excuse any cross-postings. I'm sending this message to multiple listservs.)

Wendy

Wendy R. Mullin
Web Developer
University Technology Services
University of South Carolina
1244 Blossom Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208
voice: 803-777-6785 | fax: 803-777-1900
email: <EMAIL REMOVED>