WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Seeking examples of universities with a centralized approach to accessibility/disability issues

for

Date: Aug 15, 2014 9:04AM

At NC State University, instead of trying to change our institutional
structures, we opted for providing easier access points for people
wanting more information. We didn't want people to have to figure out
that if they had this type of accessibility question then it needed to
go to this group. We created two resources.

1. A simple landing page that covers all aspects of accessibility on
campus, no matter what aspect of accessibility you are referring to.
http://accessibility.ncsu.edu/

2. A single email address to use to ask questions if you don't know
who to ask. <EMAIL REMOVED> . A group of us monitor this email
address - it just creates a ticket in our help system.

I hope this helps.

Greg
--
Greg Kraus
University IT Accessibility Coordinator
NC State University
<EMAIL REMOVED>
http://go.ncsu.edu/itaccess

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Gunderson, Jon R < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> At University of Illinois in Urbana/Champaign it is the responsibility of the "Office of Diversity, Equity and Access", although a lot of people with questions or access requests also contact Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES).
>
> http://diversity.illinois.edu/
>
> Jon Gunderson
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of MULLIN, WENDY
> Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:21 PM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] Seeking examples of universities with a centralized approach to accessibility/disability issues
>
> Hi everyone -
>
> Does anyone have any examples of colleges or universities that have a centralized approach to handling accessibility/disability issues?
>
> Our University has a great Student Disability Office (for students). Other than students (who have the Student Disability Office), it is not always clear or well-known who a person should contact with questions about accessibility/disability related-issues. We also have processes in place for non-students - faculty/staff, visitors, etc. - but some of these process are either not well-known or not well-defined.
>
> I'm on a subcommittee at our University that would like to propose (to our administration) a more centralized approach to handling accessibility and disability issues. Something that would make it easier for an individual - no matter who that person is (student/staff/faculty/parent/visitor) - to contact the University about any questions or issues related to accessibility/disabilities and to receive appropriate help.
>
> I'm looking for examples of any college or university that has a centralized approach to addressing accessibility and disability issues. (Note: I'm referring to all types of accessibility - physical accessibility, electronic and web accessibility, etc.)
>
> Any examples would be welcome, even if they only apply to specific areas - such as web accessibility.
>
> Thanks. (Please excuse any cross-postings. I'm sending this message to multiple listservs.)
>
> Wendy
>
> Wendy R. Mullin
> Web Developer
> University Technology Services
> University of South Carolina
> 1244 Blossom Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208
> voice: 803-777-6785 | fax: 803-777-1900
> email: <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
>