WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link labels and APA citations

for

Date: Oct 20, 2014 12:38PM

Hi Jonathan,

I think it is conceptually wrong. It hides "Read more" from users of certain technologies, thus it does not provide equal access.

[Leaving aside the language is far from being ideal. 'an example' can hardly 'replace text, or can it'? Who or what is to do the replacement? Clearer language would help… but that's a different story. Furthermore, the example is undecided whether something additional is to be offered or a replacement is to happen. These are different things… Confusing, at least to me.

For background: the text introducing and explaining the example mentioned by Jonathan says:

> Example 1: Providing additional information for links
> This example should replace the "read more" link text at the end of the teaser text with the content of the h2 heading referenced by aria-labelledby.

]

Olaf

On 20 Oct 2014, at 20:06, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>> aria-label (property) defines a string value that labels the current element.
>
> Then I guess you would not like example 1 from technique ARIA 7 which replaces the on-screen link text with other on-screen text not in the link by using aria-labelledby. This is currently a sufficient technique for SC 2.4.4.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/ARIA7.html
>
> Jonathan
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Olaf Drümmer
> Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:49 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link labels and APA citations
>
> On 20 Oct 2014, at 18:25, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>>> Those might work for websites, but to the best of my knowledge, we can't do Aria in PDFs, PowerPoints, and Word documents. And controlling link appearance in PDFs is a time consuming nightmare.
>>
>> You can use the "ActualText" property in PDF to specify a programmatic replacement to the text that is displayed. This would akin to aria-label.
>
>
> Please not, Never. Never ever. ActualText in pDF is to be used to indicate what text is displayed, even if such text is not encoded as text (e.g. an image or vector art) or not as that text (e.g. a text object whose encoding doesn't lend itself to derive the actual text as perceived by a sighted user looking at the rendered page). It is not (!) akin to anything known in the HTML world (but it would be a nice addition to the HTML world.).
>
> If accessibility is ever to become a success, we all must stay away from highjacking mechanisms for something they weren't designed or defined for.
>
> This whole line of reasoning shining up in this thread leads to more problems than it solves. I can accept a hack in an emergency situation but I can't accept a hack as a part of official methodology.
>
>
> For some background:
>
> excerpt from Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA) 1.0 - see http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/states_and_properties#aria-label
>> aria-label (property)
>>
>> Defines a string value that labels the current element.
>
> excerpt from ISO 32000-1 (PDF 1.7), 14.9.4 Replacement Text (download free of charge version of the ISO standard from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html ):
>
>> . The ActualText value shall be used as a replacement, not a description, for the content, providing text that is equivalent to what a person would see when viewing the content.
>
>
>
> Olaf
>
>