WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link labels and APA citations

for

Date: Oct 20, 2014 5:57PM

Just to propose a small thought experiment:

… if the link stops working in the future - what is more suitable:

[a] to have the title linked, pointing to a nonfunctional URL?
[b] to have the link sitting on the URL pointing to a non-functional URL?

Which is semantically more appropriate?

Olaf

On 21 Oct 2014, at 01:39, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>> That's what readers of scientific material expect.
>
> While I support practical thinking I sometimes I have to question whether expectations are a reason to do something. As a pedestrian I expect that drivers won't yield to me in a crosswalk. That doesn't make them right. Similarly, if the title of a work was commonly hyperlinked then people would come to expect that it would be a hyperlink.
>
> APA may also be used by people who aren't reading scientific material. For example, APA may be used in policy briefs, etc. that are less "scientific" and more practical.
>
> Jonathan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom
> Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:45 PM
> To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link labels and APA citations
>
> Yes.
> Link the URL, not the citation text. That's what readers of scientific material expect.
> Good luck with your class.
>
> -Bevi Chagnon
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
> Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508 Accessibility.
> Take a Sec. 508 Class in 2014 - www.Pubcom.com/classes
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ed Eckenstein
> Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:37 PM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Link labels and APA citations
>
> This is my first post to the list and I do appreciate all the information and thoughts everyone has shared. I was thinking of Word specifically. I'm developing a Word accessibility module as an exercise for a class I'm taking. I was testing it with other students when the question of APA citations came up.
>
> HTML certainly has many more ways to accomplish this but Word is so limited.
> Seem like based on the ideas brought forth so far the choice is either to hyperlink the citation title and not link the actual URL or just use the URL as the hyperlink text for the hyperlink. Right now I'm leaning towards following APA format and using the URL itself as the link text. The purpose and destination of the link would be available from the surrounding citation text. Not ideal as the citation is not programmatically linked to the hyperlink. Does this seem like a reasonable compromise?
>
> Thank to all for the great information shared.
>
> >