WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 118, Issue 7

for

Date: Jan 9, 2015 12:09PM

The key phrase in WCAG 1.3.1 is "programmatically determined".

That is, the assumption is that devices such as a screen reader, search bot or CSS can identify semantic tags (e.g. H1..H6 or UL/LI) and match it with a function (i.e. a heading, a list).

If visual formatting only is used, then the device itself does not have access to the semantic structure and cannot leverage the information. For instance, a screen reader can list a set of content enclosed in H tags, but not reliably identify text that is bold face/enlarged or whatever as a heading, even if the author means it to be.

My two cents
Elizabeth

>
> From: "Bourne, Sarah (ITD)" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Date: January 9, 2015 at 11:23:18 AM EST
> Reply-To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] requiring the use of headings
>
>
> I know how useful properly-implemented headings are to screen reader users, but I'd like a little help in identifying exactly which WCAG2 Guideline or success or failure criteria would be cited. Specifically, my interest is in pages and web-based applications where there is text that is styled to look like a heading, introducing and identifying a section of the page, but it is not marked up as a heading. (I have a similar issue with the use of images or asterisks to look like a list without using the list markup.)
>
> "2.4.6 Headings and Labels: Headings and labels describe topic or purpose. (Level AA)" seems like the obvious choice, but Understanding SC 2.4.6 specifically says, "This success criterion does not require headings or labels."
>
> "2.4.10 Section Headings: Section headings are used to organize the content" is level AAA, but in practice, it seems more important than that.
>
> 2.4.10 refers to " 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value" for applications, but there is no mention of headings there.
>
> "4.1.1 Parsing" talks about not using semantic elements only for visual effect, but I don't see anything there about using a visual effect to mimic a semantic element.
>
> "4.1.2 Name, Role, Value" covers "user interface components," but nothing about the name and role of semantic text elements.
>
> A good document map is one of the first things I look for, so I am puzzled why I can't find a success criteria that addresses this clearly. I hope it's just that I am overlooking something obvious, and that somebody here can help point it out.
>
> sb
> Sarah E. Bourne
> Director of IT Accessibility
> Massachusetts Office of Information Technology
> Commonwealth of Massachusetts
> 1 Ashburton Pl. rm 1601 Boston MA 02108
> 617-626-4502
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> http://www.mass.gov/itd
>
>
>

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University
<EMAIL REMOVED> , (814) 865-0805 or (814) 865-2030 (Main Office)

210 Rider Building (formerly Rider II)
227 W. Beaver Avenue
State College, PA 16801-4819
http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/psu
http://tlt.psu.edu