WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Regarding Section 508 discussion

for

Date: Feb 9, 2015 11:20AM

Hi Folks,

I too am concerned about the incredibly long timeline. However, I just happen to know that the US Access Board is a very very small agency, with in fact very few people and resources tasked with this particular enormous task that the entire world seems to be waiting for. They must follow very intense US government-wide policies and procedures for creating, reviewing and getting the necessary approvals to make, change and regulate standards for accessibility of all sorts. Some of these people are people that I care about. Thus what you might view as my protective stance........

So I wouldn't stop your protests and complaints - that keeps the target in view.

I am merely asking for some compassion for these few individual who I suspect would love nothing more than to just make the decisions themselves and be able to deliver what we all our waiting for.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 | <EMAIL REMOVED> | Oakton, VA | LinkedIn Profile | Office: 703-371-5545

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Karen Sorensen
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 12:45 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Regarding Section 508 discussion

Thank you Karen and Bevi! I'm not sure why Katie is so protective of the US Access Board. Like any legislation, those who it will be applicable to should scrutinize it closely, ask questions and provide feedback. This listserv is lucky to have such knowledgeable people participate in it. If we don't question this direction of the US Access Board, who will? Now who do we write to on the US Access Board? Or should we write our legislators?
Maybe Bevi or Karen would be willing to post a draft that we could all edit or just add our names to?
My 2 cents.

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses www.pcc.edu/access Portland Community College
971-722-4720
*"The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."* Tim Berners-Lee