WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: clarification please -> PDF/UA

for

Date: Feb 26, 2015 5:51AM

> Yet a bunch of what WCAG recommends could easily be classified as out of scope (scripting, captions, embedded media, etc.),

I have PDF with all of these components in them -- so they are definitely not out of scope -- just maybe not as common.

> II doubt I'm not the only one raising an eyebrow that an organization that advocates against endorsing software or using blatant superlatives uses screenshots of proprietary software and publicly claims "On the Home ribbon, use the lists tools to create or repair lists in Word documents. This is the easiest way to ensure that lists are formatted correctly when they are converted to PDF.".

I don't consider this an endorsement. The fact is many if not most people are using Word, InDesign, and Acrobat at some point in the process to create tagged PDF content These tools are also something that people are familiar with and not providing steps to use them would be more harmful. If you feel additional software such as LibreOffice or Nuance PDF Creator Pro should be listed by all means submit a pull request to have those added to the github repository.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter