WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Joomla! Accessibility

for

Date: Jun 4, 2015 4:11PM

This is good info to know. Just this morning on our way to a poster session follow-up to a university class at which we presented, I was talking with a friend and former colleague about this very subject. Awhile back I had heard from another former colleague that the 3 most accessible CMS's at the time were WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal. So that's exactly what I told the former colleague this morning. I think a close runner-up is Dreamwidth Studios, where I have my journal. I've only been on that platform since last year, but it seems like they have demonstrated a clear commitment to universal accessibility. Granted I've only used Dreamwidth with VoiceOver, but I'm told it works well with the other screen readers too. I think I have to tweak some of my settings on there, but everything I've seen is fully accessible.
Jake
Please visit me at http://jazzyjj.dreamwidth.org .

On May 30, 2015, at 9:50 AM, John E Brandt < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Hi Cliff,

I have a couple of Joomla (v2.5x) sites still running. The key was getting templates that were accessible and of course doing due diligence in keeping content accessible.

As with all CMSs, the problems always come with the template/themes and the plugins, so results may vary.

I will be moving two of the sites to Joomla v3.5x in the coming weeks as v2.5 is no longer supported. The third site, the largest of the three will be converted to WordPress.

On a side note, development related to accessibility for Drupal and Joomla have been minimal in recent years while the WordPress development world is going gang-busters and has an active team of dedicated volunteers who are continuously improving the core and testing templates. Hence my move to WP and away from the other two CMSs.

If you have a choice of CMSs, you may want to steer to WordPress if you are concerned about accessibility.

~j

John E. Brandt
jebswebs: accessible and universal web design,
development and consultation
<EMAIL REMOVED>
207-622-7937
Augusta, Maine, USA

@jebswebs
www.jebswebs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Cliff Tyllick
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:33 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Joomla! Accessibility

Pardon my lazyweb approach, but does anyone on this list have direct knowledge of whether the open source content management system Joomla! conforms with ATAG 2.0?

Thanks!

Cliff Tyllick
Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services

Sent from my iPhone
Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.