WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS 14 issues with partial view reloads for Single Page Java web applications

for

Date: Jul 21, 2015 8:18AM

It's a very interesting problem. Essentially the team is trying to move the focus manually using js. However, there is dynamic server side content that is being added asynchronously which is stealing the jaws virtual cursor from the .focus() code when the dynamic content loads.

You can see visually that the dotted line and focus should be on one element. But it moves to the dynamic content instead.

I'm thinking that it is a page lifecycle issue?

That they are using document.ready() which is too early to be calling that js function.
I'm pretty sure a .live function might do the trick instead maybe. I'm not a js guru but that might be something.

I wish I could call the js when the last piece of dynamic content is loaded server side, but I know that can be brutal to implement Sometimes with frameworks like Java.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks Paul for getting back to me.

-Beth

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 20, 2015, at 15:53, Paul J. Adam < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Yes I've seen many problems with Single Page Apps. Focus management is the biggest problem. Speaking dynamic content and unique page titles is another major problem. You have to do this all manually with JavaScript.
>
> Paul J. Adam
> Accessibility Evangelist
> www.deque.com
>
> Join us at our Mobile Accessibility "Bootcamp!"
> August 6-7 in Austin Texas
> https://dequeuniversity.com/events/2015/mobile
> Topics include responsive web design, native apps, & more
>
>> On Jul 20, 2015, at 2:14 PM, MEJ - Beth Sullivan < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>