WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: tabpanel mark-up, possible effect of role=presentation

for

Date: Aug 6, 2015 8:30AM

Detlev, perhaps aria-hidden is not being updated in time for the screen reader to see the updated content.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Detlev Fischer
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 8:55 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] tabpanel mark-up, possible effect of role=presentation

Hi,

I have a question for screen reader users. Curently I am testing a site that uses what appears to be a properly marked-up tabpanel: two tabs with role tab, content in two divs with role tabpanel. The tabs are technically skip links to the associated tabpanel divs. These two tab links sit inside li elements with role=presentation. The site also use aria-selected on the tabs and aria-hidden=true and display=none on the hidden tabpanel.

Now my question: when navigating with arrow keys in NVDA and JAWS (Firefox), both screen readers do not read the tabs - they skip straight to the tabpanel content below. I fist though this might be due to role=presentatino on the li elements, but this role should not apply to the a elements inside the li elements, if I correctly understand the ARIA semantics.

Tabbing through content will focus and rtead the tabs, but fail to read the tabpanel content when arrowing doen after activation (just a visible scroll effect).
Could well be that I am not using the screen readers correctly. Or is this due to known screen reader bugs?
Unfortunately I cannot point you to the site (behind a login).

Any ideas?

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese
Thedestr. 2, 22767 Hamburg

Mobil +49 (0)1577 170 73 84
Tel +49 (0)40 439 10 68-3
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites