WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: visited hyperlink text color

for

Date: Aug 13, 2015 12:26AM

Oh well that's the problem them: inline styles can't style the
pseudo-states like :hover, :focus, or :visited.

_mallory

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 06:54:47PM +0000, Kroon, Kurtis@FTB wrote:
> CSS support is all across the board. In particular, if you have to support Gmail web clients, your choices are "inline styles or nothing"[1][2].
> Kurtis Kroon
> CA:GO:FTB:ASD:CSB:WSS:WUXU:AssocISA
>
> References:
> 1: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/
> 2: http://templates.mailchimp.com/resources/email-client-css-support/
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jared Smith [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:08
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] visited hyperlink text color
>
> I admit I don't know a lot about e-mail clients, but I can't envision a situation where you'd be able to define a color background but not be able to define the visited link colors. Both require basic CSS support in the e-mail client, and I think e-mail clients that don't support basic CSS would be rather rare these days.
>
> So if CSS is supported, the user will get your defined colors which will always be sufficient if you define both background and visited link colors (a:visited in CSS) correctly. In a case where CSS is not supported, the user will get the default purple on white colors, which is also sufficient (and which you can't control anyway).
>
> I think the only case where the user would experience contrast issues is if you were to define a background color but not a visited link color - and that's entirely preventable on your part.
>
> I suppose there could be odd situations, such as <table bgcolor> that might be supported for background colors where CSS for visited link colors would not be, but this can be avoided by only using CSS to define your colors.
>
> Or perhaps I'm overlooking something.
>
> Jared
>
>
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or distribution, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.
> > > >