WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: ARIA role=tree for mobile?

for

Date: Aug 16, 2015 7:44PM

> I'm specifying requirements for a mobile-only navigation that has more than one level. I know it should be coded as a nested unordered list. What I don't know if VoiceOver and TalkBack support aria role="tree" and role="treeitem."

I personally don't believe an ARIA tree structure is the right structure for navigation. The use of several ARIA roles should really be limited, menu, tree, page, etc. should really be limited to desktop equivalents and should be avoid in navigation situations.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>

703-637-8957 (o)
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:13 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] ARIA role=tree for mobile?

I'm specifying requirements for a mobile-only navigation that has more than one level. I know it should be coded as a nested unordered list. What I don't know if VoiceOver and TalkBack support aria role="tree" and role="treeitem."

On an iPhone5, I was trying out this example, linked from the WAI page http://oaa-accessibility.org/examplep/treeview1/

There was no indication of any structure or whether the tree was expanded or collapsed. Nor was there any indication when I was on the first or last item in a list, which I typically hear in an unordered list.

It seems like the ARIA in this case got in the way of the list structure. My gut is not to use it for a mobile-only implementation.

Would love thoughts from anyone who can chime in.

Best,

Judith Blankman

Accessibility Strategist
Customer Experience (CX)
WFVC Digital | 1 Front Street | San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: 415-947-6583 | Cell: 415-601-1114

MAC: A0195-171

j<mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >