WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: IAAP Certification Update

for

Date: Sep 11, 2015 6:32PM

Ok, sorry Paul, my bad for not reading that description properly. I see what you mean now about being a tester.

Um, not sure what to say to the last post in this thread because I'm not on the direct inside of all the organizations. So...for someone who is a newby at all of this. What would be a good first few steps to prepping for the impending certification when it gets finalized? I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'll freely admit that, because if I didn't, I'd be lying to myself. In the forum post I put out, someone wrote that they know a lot of people who are passionate about accessibility by providing opinions about whether the software is accessible but not necessarily providing constructive feedback with snippets of code or something to try to help the devs out. Or, at least, that's how I read it, I could again have interpreted that wrong. I fear that I may be one of those people. I can tell you when something isn't accessible for me as a user, but I couldn't necessarily tell you the exact coding on how to fix it. For example, I could tell you that if the website you were showing me didn't have headings where there could be headings, then you should put headings there so it's easier to read. But I couldn't tell you what style sheet to use and the exact html coding to do it.
That's a basic example, but I hope it illustrates where I'm coming from. I have extensive knowledge about accessibility on desktop and iphone, not android, don't have the money for one right now. I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed right now as to what a good place to start is. I was advised to concentrate on mobile access and, while I completely understand why that's so important, by more knowledgable areas are in desktop and screen reader access since that's what I deal with 98 percent of the time. So, yes, I'd love to be certified, is there a book I can start with or something?

Thanks, Dave