WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility in Financial Tables in HTML

for

Date: Oct 12, 2015 3:02PM

Rio, either of the conventions you've mentioned is acceptable. Both are commonly accepted, so the decision should hinge on whether one is more familiar to the audience. If sighted people are used to negative numbers being in parentheses, then blind people of the same background should be, too.

As for the "millions of dollars," dollar signs, and percent signs, I think they do provide enough context. Others might disagree, but I side with thus minimalisrl

Sent from my iPhone
Although its spellcheck often saves me, all goofs in sent messages are its fault.

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Julie Lewis < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>
> A couple questions about accessibility for financial tables.
>
> Consider:
>
> http://www.texastransparency.org/State_Finance/Budget_Finance/Reports/Certification_Revenue_Estimate/cre1415/table1.php
>
> Question 1: In printed formats the convention for reporting negative numbers is to put them in parentheses (2,553). Is that acceptable for accessibility, or is -2,553
> better?
>
> Question 2: The title indicates that the number in the tables are in "millions of dollars," But that is nowhere in the table headers. The printed version of the table has dollar signs in front of the numbers on the first and last rows and percent signs only on the first and last rows. Does that provide enough context? Or should every cell have $ or % explicitly called out?
>
> In the past we figured the more info in the table the better, but it's a battle with the finance folks every time we produce these tables.
>
> I cannot find best practices or guidelines for this anywhere on the web, and at StackOverflow they snarkily said this didn't have anything to do with code.
>
> Thanks,
> Rio Brewster
> > > >