WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Captivate 9

for

Date: Nov 4, 2015 4:19PM

I am trying to understand to what extent Captivate 9 produces content that meets accessibility requirements of section 508 (and WCAG 2.0). Since I do not have experience in Captivate 9 I'm hoping someone here does and can summarize what I should expect as we start to use it.

In particular I wonder if "C9" can create a Skip link (I think not), valid H1...H6 headings (not sure about H2 and below), tables with column/row headers (does the Table plugin do so?), suitably structured Lists (I think so), logical tab and reading order (not sure whether one can control either in a complicated layout). Of course I expect that ALT texts can be provided for images that need them and that decorative images can be tagged as ALT=''. Anyone know how Captivate 9 "plays" in JAWS or NVDA? Using standard Keyboard shortcuts?

What is weird is that I understand that SAMHSA (or anyway parts of it) are trying to standardize on Captivate 9... and I wonder how they can do so if it does not satisfy 508 requirements. That's the law, no? So I am tempted to conclude that what I have heard or seen about C9's limitations is due to lack of familiarity using it to best effect. Is that so?
Thanks,
A