WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Captivate 9

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Nov 04 2015 4:19PM
Subject: Captivate 9
No previous message | Next message →

I am trying to understand to what extent Captivate 9 produces content that meets accessibility requirements of section 508 (and WCAG 2.0). Since I do not have experience in Captivate 9 I'm hoping someone here does and can summarize what I should expect as we start to use it.

In particular I wonder if "C9" can create a Skip link (I think not), valid H1...H6 headings (not sure about H2 and below), tables with column/row headers (does the Table plugin do so?), suitably structured Lists (I think so), logical tab and reading order (not sure whether one can control either in a complicated layout). Of course I expect that ALT texts can be provided for images that need them and that decorative images can be tagged as ALT=''. Anyone know how Captivate 9 "plays" in JAWS or NVDA? Using standard Keyboard shortcuts?

What is weird is that I understand that SAMHSA (or anyway parts of it) are trying to standardize on Captivate 9... and I wonder how they can do so if it does not satisfy 508 requirements. That's the law, no? So I am tempted to conclude that what I have heard or seen about C9's limitations is due to lack of familiarity using it to best effect. Is that so?
Thanks,
A

Date: Thu, Nov 05 2015 9:58AM
Subject: Re: Captivate 9
← Previous message | No next message

Our position is that any training created using Captivate 9 must be accompanied by an accessible version of the training. Thus you have to maintain two versions if you want to use Captivate and be compliant. The "Accessible" methods recommended by Adobe result in Flash output which in our opinion cannot be made compliant or usable by screen reader users. Heading structure is not supported, it does not inherit OS settings for high contrast and in user testing with screen reader and screen magnifier users we have found that the performance is unpredictable and erratic across multiple workstations with the same software and hardware configurations.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Civil Rights Office

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Alan Zaitchik
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 5:20 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Captivate 9

I am trying to understand to what extent Captivate 9 produces content that meets accessibility requirements of section 508 (and WCAG 2.0). Since I do not have experience in Captivate 9 I'm hoping someone here does and can summarize what I should expect as we start to use it.

In particular I wonder if "C9" can create a Skip link (I think not), valid H1...H6 headings (not sure about H2 and below), tables with column/row headers (does the Table plugin do so?), suitably structured Lists (I think so), logical tab and reading order (not sure whether one can control either in a complicated layout). Of course I expect that ALT texts can be provided for images that need them and that decorative images can be tagged as ALT=''. Anyone know how Captivate 9 "plays" in JAWS or NVDA? Using standard Keyboard shortcuts?

What is weird is that I understand that SAMHSA (or anyway parts of it) are trying to standardize on Captivate 9... and I wonder how they can do so if it does not satisfy 508 requirements. That's the law, no? So I am tempted to conclude that what I have heard or seen about C9's limitations is due to lack of familiarity using it to best effect. Is that so?
Thanks,
A