WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: JAWS 15 Vs JAWS 16 (Carousel widget example)

for

Date: Feb 9, 2016 10:36PM

hoerkomm uses a carousel that is just structured as a group of h3 sections led by a hidden h2 explaining that to follow are animated teasers for selected offers of the site:
http://www.hoerkomm.de/start.html

So in this case, no aria markup and hidden sections not in the tab order. Otherwise I think tab panel would be the most fitting semantic structure.

On 9 Feb 2016, at 23:03, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

>> This is very dated, but in searching the list for suggestions on how to implement a carousel pattern I came across this message. Though the page Jon referenced is gone, I thought I'd offer up my experience, for what it's worth.
>
> I believe you are referring to my linking to a JQuery UI project that used a listbox role. I agree the structure of listbox items is essentially reduced -- so perhaps a one row grid might serve as a better although inadequate role.
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> SSB BART Group
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> 703-637-8957 (o)
> Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Robert Fentress
> Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 2:23 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] JAWS 15 Vs JAWS 16 (Carousel widget example)
>
> This is very dated, but in searching the list for suggestions on how to implement a carousel pattern I came across this message. Though the page Jon referenced is gone, I thought I'd offer up my experience, for what it's worth.
>
> I don't think listbox is semantically appropriate, as that is, as best I can tell from the ARIA Authoring Practices document, intended to be like a combobox that supports pictures. Structured content would not map to the accessibility API. Basically, anything that would go in an option would just be an accessible name, all read out as one blob.
> Thus, things like headings and links, which you'll often see in carousels, would not respond to virtual cursor-type navigation. If all each carousel slide contains is an image, maybe this would be okay, but, even then, it seems more wrong than right.
>
> I don't particularly care for the WAI implementation Jennifer mentioned, either. If I've navigated past the carousel, I certainly don't want whatever I'm doing to be interrupted by an aria live region announcing the contents of a slide, however politely. I suppose you could make the argument that it is providing "equivalent"
> functionality, in that a sighted user is also jolted out of whatever it is they were focusing on, but I would hope the goal is to make things more usable, not less.
>
> The best I've been able to do is to use a sort of modified tab panel structure. I add hidden text to the little bullets that let you navigate between slides (making them bigger) and make these have the tab role and wrap them in container set to the tablist role. The container for the content of the slide is assigned the tabpanel role.
> I set aria-controls and aria-selected appropriately and create listeners for the up/down and left/right arrow events as ways of moving between slides. Then, I add a play/pause button and recommend that it start in the paused state (though, realistically, that advice is not likely to be taken by folks).
>
> One important thing I noticed is that you must handle focus appropriately. For instance, if the user is on the tablist and the carousel progresses to the next slide, you'll need to make sure to move focus to the newly selected tab, or else it will be lost entirely. Of course, you would only do this when you are interacting with the tablist.
>
> It would probably also be good to add a screen reader-only description in there somewhere about how this is really a carousel, so that the user isn't totally surprised about how this "tab panel" is behaving.
> If you do feel it is important to notify user of changes, you could compromise and use a polite live region to announce just the heading of the slide.
>
> I don't see a need to use the application role.
>
> This is all horrible, I recognize, but its the best I, personally, have been able to come up with. If best practice has evolved since the original message was posted, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Best,
> Rob
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Jennifer Sutton < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>> Greetings, all:
>>
>> I wanted to post a pointer to this WAI carousel tutorial, in case
>> folks don't know about it and might find it handy and/or might wish to
>> provide comments for improvement, based on experience.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/carousels/
>>
>> Best,
>> Jennifer
>>
>>
>> >> >> list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
>