WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Word/PDF accessibility guide

for

Date: Feb 22, 2016 8:24AM

Thank you. They know how to type. That doesn't make them Word proficient. Something my regular students find out the hard way. But this isn't graded, just in service.

sent by flying monkeys through cyberspace

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 7:22 AM -0800, "Duff Johnson" < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:

Hi Sharon,

If they barely know Word at all, these would be my "top 5" tips in terms of where to focus...

1. Train them - with religious fervor - to use Styles, and to avoid inline styling to the extent possible.

2. While on the above subject, train them to use headings to structure the document properly. This practice may also help them to think logically, and could help them in presenting their ideas in general...

3. Ensure they provide alt. text for figures and graphics.

4. Ensure they do not rely on color contrast in graphs and charts, and preferably, to provide a tabular version of the information presented in each chart / graph.

5. Train them to be sure to use PDF creation software which produces "tagged PDF".

That's my $0.02 for today!

Duff.

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 06:08, Terzian, Sharon < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi
> I've been asked to teach a short class to non-techies on how to be pro active as far as Accessibility when using Word and then probably making it a PDF.
>
> I teach Word now and know it has the accessibility checker as a part of it. I also know the challenges when you make it into a PDF, it doesn't always go well.
>
> I found a few things online, but the people that are in attendance barely know Word. Plus I'll need a 'start' file as this training will be hands on (I reserved the lab that I teach in). They tend to use a lot of tables for layouts.
>
> I know Word inside and out, but
> because I generally am teaching college students, most of whom can barely spell these days, never mind care about accessibility (and yes I've tried to push and include more of this every semester, but I"m not in charge), I'm not even overly
> familiar with what can be done. I know and have always said the best thing you can do is plan ahead on your layouts, colors, etc. I know about the headings and hierarchies, I know about tags for photos, etc. My expertise is web design.
>
> Any suggestions or resources you know of (I have already download the WebAIM documents), please suggest away.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sharon Terzian
> Webmistress/Sherlock Center @ RIC
> Adjunct Professor/School of Management @ RIC
> http://www.sherlockcenter.org
> http://www.dubowitzsyndrome.net
> > > > >