WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Captions/Transcripts

for

Date: Apr 25, 2016 12:12PM

> Given this background information, is it necessary to provide transcript in addition to the captions?

Generally transcripts as an additional media alternative may not be required from my experience but I could see some situations where they could be beneficial to some users. For example, captions depending on the environment may not use the users preferred font size, color, and background and in some situations could be difficult for users with low vision who are deaf or hard of hearing to see. In other situations since the captions are moving the user would have to stop the review the video while transcripts are fixed on the screen allowing the user to review without distraction -- this might help some users with cognitive disabilities or low vision.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Julie Grisham
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 2:08 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Captions/Transcripts

Hi everyone!

I have a question about captions and transcripts. Personally, I am deaf, but in terms of getting information related to compliance in this area, I am still a bit of a novice.

I understand that both are required to ensure AA compliance. I'd like to give you a little background information and post a couple specific questions because this situation is a bit different. If anyone can help by providing a resource link to WCAG and/or other similar sites to help me, that would be great!

*Background: *Several tests are developed for students (multiple forms). We have individual tests that are accommodated for a specific population of students with disabilities. We cannot bundle all accommodations in one form due to the technology limitations set by the technology and security specs.
There might be a test that is delivered in large print and Braille. A test delivered using Text to Speech, a test delivered using sign language videos (ASL signer in video) and a test delivered using captions for video clips.
There are portions of the tests that are the same across the board, some variation to get a good sample of results.

For the test that is delivered using captions. There might be one to two short video clips and the captions are timed according to the voice.
Questions related to the clip may indicate time markers before the question
(example: In the video at 2:20, how….).

We received a request to add a transcript that is just verbatim what is provided in the captions so the student sees a tab with the video (captions
embedded) and a tab showing the transcript. The target population for this accommodation are students with a hearing loss who need captions, but do not use American Sign Language. Those using sign language and who are deaf/blind are accommodated using different forms.

Typically, the video clips are available in a non-accommodated test and students taking this test are able to replay the clip and listen as often as possible. For the captions-accommodated test, the student with the hearing loss can do the same – replay and read captions as often as needed.

Now, my questions are:

Given this background information, is it necessary to provide transcript in addition to the captions?

What is the benefit of the transcript if it's just verbatim what is in the captions? The transcripts I saw did not have any extra information that is not already in the captions and it appeared to be distracting for the student to see there's something additional to read -- my opinion as a deaf person who uses captions on a daily basis. It was my understanding from WCAG that transcripts are typically more descriptive than captions. This is not the case in this situation.

Using the background information I provided, is it required to add the transcript even though it's verbatim? Even though other accommodations are not embedded on the same test?

Regarding format of transcripts – are there samples of how transcripts can be displayed online with videos that I might be able to view to get some ideas how best to deliver this if we still need to provide a transcript. By format, I'm talking about specific transcript content requirements and also if it needs to be within the video clip's player.

I'm sure as I see feedback, I may have more questions. Thanks in advance!

Julie