WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: edit digits with spellcheck

for

Date: Apr 27, 2016 6:28PM

It must be difficult to expose all the elements and relationships of a WYSIWYG editor to assistive technology, let alone the results of a spell check. Role=alert could be used in this way, similarly to how it is used to indicate invalid form input. If someone is typing quickly enough (and making enough errors), automatic spell checking could generate multiple alerts that would then have to be negotiated one at a time, presumably by tabbing.

Does anyone know how the user would be alerted to a number of alerts occurring in a short span of time? Being I Mac user, I can test this in VoiceOver, but am curious if anyone has had experience with this.

Brian Lovely
<EMAIL REMOVED>

> On Apr 25, 2016, at 9:17 PM, Jonathan Avila < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>> What is people's experience with rich edit widget's that allows rich content to be added to a page. I was reviewing a page where they permitted spell checking. This used the MSWord marking functionality. The screen reader using IE11 didn't detect the misspelled word.
>
> In my experience there is not a sufficient text API to communicate information such like there is with for the desktop MS Word, Java Accessibility, etc. Some organizations such as Microsoft and Google have tried to solve around the problem with interesting hacks that sometimes work for rich editing but don't fully address the problem. So while technically it falls under the person procuring or the product or the vendor it is a larger issue that in my opinion must be solved by the community with standards. Perhaps there is someone on the list who has more information about such work.
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> SSB BART Group
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> 703.637.8957 (Office)
>
> Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
> Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
> Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:02 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: [WebAIM] edit digits with spellcheck
>
> All,
>
> What is people's experience with rich edit widget's that allows rich content to be added to a page. I was reviewing a page where they permitted spell checking. This used the MSWord marking functionality. The screen reader using IE11 didn't detect the misspelled word.
>
> Is the responsibility of accessibility lies on the developer of the widget, the browser or a combination? If so, should aria be be used here? Since ARIA only tells the screen reader the role and state. What about methods within the object (element)?
>
> Sean
> > > > > > >