WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: ARIA tabs interaction

for

Date: Apr 29, 2016 5:01PM

I get the frustration, yet a lot of what is experienced from the points you mention have to do with non-intuitive design and unreliable scripting.

For example: The use of ARIA Tab attributes simply effects the mapping in the accessibility tree, it has no effect on the scripting or visual layout of the page.

For sighted keyboard only users, a designer can add a simple CSS class like the following to visually display arrows to indicate that the arrow keys should be pressed when interacting with a particular group of elements.

*[role="tab"]:focus:after {
/* style using content to display arrows here when focused */
}

Typically this isn't needed if groups are visually conveyed intuitively, but this is an option that developers have at their disposal.

I agree that icons without textual equivalents is a problem, and the same technique can be used to do the same thing actually, to accompany attributes such as aria-label that are not rendered visually.

E.G

<span aria-label="Add Favorite" class="addIcon" role="button" tabindex="0"></span>

The following CSS will then display the above aria-label text for both sighted mouse and keyboard only users.

span.addIcon:focus:after, span.addIcon:hover:after {
/* Rules to position pseudo element. */
content: attr(aria-label);
}

Nothing is ever perfect, but we all have to move forward, and saying that it's impossible for people to learn, will never help this happen.

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.SSBBartGroup.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of _mallory
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 1:46 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA tabs interaction

This is already the problem. Tabs worked for sighted keyboarders, but now they don't.

Honestly, whenever some committee decides to change how the web has traditionally does things, it should insist that all developers who do this add visible plain-text for all of us telling us the new way of doing things. I suck as badly at guessing the new unicorn keystrokes that will now work as much as I suck at guessing what the squiggly eyeball icon with no label text means.

Because on the web, this is a very new, and different, way of doing things. Sighted people are not psychic. The web doesn't act like desktop. Mousers don't double-click there. Things styled with CSS to emulate fake tabs have traditionally been anchors, and anchors can be tabbed to with tab. Or so we have been tricked to believe in the past.

I kinda wish I could force everyone to watch real humans slowly curse at their keyboards and wonder why they had to be unlucky enough to be born too stupid to figure out how to use a computer whenever they run across these things. It will break your hearts.

_mallory

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 05:43:46PM +0000, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> The danger of this logic being, if everybody does this differently, nobody will ever understand what is expected now or in the future.
>
>
> Bryan Garaventa
> Accessibility Fellow
> SSB BART Group, Inc.
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> 415.624.2709 (o)
> www.SSBBartGroup.com
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On
> Behalf Of Detlev Fischer
> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:14 AM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA tabs interaction
>
> The best practice (to use arrow keys within tab lists for focuusing tabs) has always be conceptually difficult as there is no clear conceptual separation of tabbed navigation areas where you expect tabbing to work, and tab-panel like structures where (accorfding to ARIA best practices) arrow keys should be used. That is why many developers chose to support tabbing to tabs nad you find very different implementations with variants regarding the use of ARIA. For menus proper, i.e. the Menubar widget that really implement an application pulldowen menu like https://hanshillen.github.io/jqtest/#goto_menubar the situation is different.
>
> So to answer the question, I personally don't see it as wrong to allow the user to tab through the top-level menu items, certainly niot for navigation menus, and I I see definite usability advantages of supporting both arrowing and tabbing for tabs in tab panels even if this deviates from ARIA best practice.
>
> Detlev
>
> --
> Detlev Fischer
> testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese
> Thedestr. 2, 22767 Hamburg
>
> Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
> Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5
>
> http://www.testkreis.de
> Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites
>
> Joseph Sherman schrieb am 28.04.2016 16:29:
>
> > The design guide for ARIA menu tabs uses the "Tab" key to get into
> > the tabs list, and then the arrow keys to move through the menu tabs
> > and menu items. In my experience users, especially without a screen
> > reader, expect the "Tab" key to move to the next menu Tab and are
> > confused when the "Tab" key skips the menu tabs. Is it "wrong" to
> > follow the guide but allow the user to tab through the top-level menu items?
> >
> >
> > Joseph
> >
> > > > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > >
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>