WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

complex form questions

for

Date: Jun 16, 2016 10:48AM

Hello all. I've been given a search application to check for accessibility. I am well versed in website audits but not quite as familiar with this type of complex interactive form. As usual it's after it's been built, making life more difficult.

Anyway, the form allows students to search across 25 institutions for classes that meet any variety of criteria. I can't link to it as it's only available on internal network (I can provide code snippets if anyone really wants to help out). A few questions:

1) Is there any actual difference between using FOR and ID to associate labels vs using label element is as a container for both the form control and the label text? Any different behavior in various browser and AT, or mobile devices?

2) They currently have the form laid out in a bunch of table columns and rows. I know best practice is to use CSS for layout. Is adding role="presentation" to the layout tables sufficient?

a. Also they are using <td height="20px" width="100px"> Is this ok, as I usually recommend using relative rather than absolute units.

3) What is the best way to code a search criteria with multiple fields like: Start Time (select from: equals, greater than, less than, between) and then the Time field?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joseph