WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Interaction with tab panels

for

Date: Aug 3, 2016 8:57AM

For #1, there was a discussion a few weeks back about using the specification versus what users are currently expecting. I know when I come to a tab panel or menu panel, I try to tab to the next item and then have to go back and use the arrows if it skips.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Vemaarapu Venkatesh
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:42 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Interaction with tab panels

Hello all, Greetings

If we consider tab panel, we should use arrow keys to interact with tabs inside the widget if I am not wrong.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa109/i-ve-forgotten-my-username-or-password

When I interacted with the tab panel present in the above link, I observed 1. When all tabs are in collapsed state, I hit tab to enter into tab panel.

Then I thought that focus moves out of tab panel to "Yes" button if I hit tab key once again. But navigation continues in tab panel i.e the other two tab items are in tab order. This behavior is not seen when any one of tab items is expanded.

I feel that interaction inside the tab panel should be only with arrow keys but not with tab key anytime.

2. If I am expanding any tab item, the already selected tab item is not getting collapsed automatically. User has to collapse and expand manually.

Whether these two behaviors are recommendable when I am interacting with tab panel widget.

Hope you will correct me if I am going wrong with my perception.

Regards,

venkatesh