WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: ARIA Attributes Affecting Page Load?

for

Date: Aug 25, 2016 8:41AM

> I was having them mark up the carousel as a tab panel.

I would generally say Carousels should not be tab panels. Here is a link to a WAI tutorial on how to create Carousels
https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/carousels/

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:25 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA Attributes Affecting Page Load?

I was having them mark up the carousel as a tab panel. There was already some weird aria in there, including marking the slides up as role="option". The aria-label was for a series of buttons, one for each tab, that have no text equivalent. I wanted them labeled as "slide 1 of 5" etc.

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Tim Harshbarger
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:59 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA Attributes Affecting Page Load?

Was their specific concern that it would impact how long it takes the page to load or how it impacts the performance after the page has loaded?

I think I missed the suggestion you provided to them.

IF your solution is complex and requires a lot of code or other resources, it could have a noticeable impact to page load time. However, there are usually things you can do to mitigate the issue. Sometimes, smaller changes can have an impact on page load time, but then the problem is usually how the developer is managing the resources and by handling the resources differently they can manage the page load times better.

You might also want to ask them questions on why they think the additional accessibility improvements would impact performance. They may have real or perceived concerns, but by knowing the details you might be able to resolve the concerns for them.

Thanks,
Tim

I didn't catch what your suggestion was?

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:32 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] ARIA Attributes Affecting Page Load?

I was just told by a development team that they did not implement my accessibility suggestion because (in part) " in our experience it could affect performance when loading the page" Has anyone heard of anything like this?

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.