WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Question about paths generated after export of Worddoc toPDF

for

Date: Sep 30, 2016 1:50PM

> You're right, Duff. Thanks for the correction.
>
> This is a problem with Microsoft or Microsoft + Adobe Acrobat (the exporter plug-in).

Sadly so.

I've not actually looked into whether or not their current paradigm for vector graphics allows for applying logical structure to (for example) a cell's background.

Since Microsoft still hasn't figured out table row headers I'm not (yet) that optimistic.

> And yes, I've filed my bug reports. Zillions. For ages. Will we ever see it fixed?!!

Microsoft is now stating their intention to follow PDF/UA.

As such, it becomes possible to hold them (and others!) to account in very specific terms for these sorts of details.

Duff.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Duff Johnson
> Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 3:27 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Question about paths generated after export of Word doc to PDF
>
>> This needs to be fixed by the screen reader applications.
>
> It's more that authoring and/or PDF creation software needs to offer users the right tools and functionality:
>
> - Invisible backgrounds should be marked as artifact.
> - Graphics objects that convey information (which may include colored backgrounds, depending) must be tagged appropriately.
>
> With properly structured files, AT (that understands tagged PDF) 'just works-.
>
>> To force content creators to avoid using color backgrounds and borders is insane; these are often needed to clarify the information for those who are sighted.
>
> Of course, authors need this flexibility, and it would be nuts to prohibit it.
>
> As above, the problem with the authoring application, not the screen-reader.
>
> Please, file your bugs in the general direction of the people who make the software that you use to make your PDFs.
>
> Duff.
>
> > > >