WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Braille Displays

for

Date: Dec 6, 2016 3:19AM

I'm emailing to the list since I think this is actually on topic and a valuable discussion for people to read.

Note that I don't use a braille reader. Although it turns out I read braille better than most blind people - on account of the fact that most don't read braille. I hope one of those who does will chime in with some more experience here...

06.12.2016, 11:04, "JP Jamous" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >:
> A client wishes to make his application screen reader and Braille Display
> accessible. As I have never used a Braille Display before, I started
> wondering and noticed that to have a Braille Display running, you ought to
> have a screen reader running. Am I correct or wrong?

Essentially right. You need something to send content to the braille reader, and I believe that the common case is now to use a screen reader since they provide that support.

There are also dedicated braille devices, just as there are multiple OSes and screen readers. So what you discover testing with acommon setup won't reflect the universal experience of everyone, but I presume that isn't a surprise.

> I am going through the WCAG audit for the client's application and it sure
> fails many success criteria. My hope is to get the audit done and once that
> is complete, the application will be accessible via Braille Displays as long
> as JAWS or NVDA are running and support the drivers for the particular
> Braille Display that will be used.

To be pedantic, the audit won't make anything accessible but fixing faults identified by it should do so, but I presume that is what you meant.

Roughly the same content will be passed to the Braille reader, but there are some important differences. People who do know braille like it because among other things it is precise - issues regarding pronunciation of acronyms and so on a reduced because the punctuation, capitalisation and spelling of words is explicit.

On the other hand, where speech is "pushed" to the user who has to consume it as it is given, braille is presented on the display and the user reads it at their leisure before requesting the next bit. Which means the way that e.g. live regions behave and that the user experiences them may be a little different. This is an area where a video or two - described and captioned, of course - would be a really great resource.

cheers

> I would appreciate any feedback on my thought process. You may e-mail me off
> the list since this is sort of an off-topic in a way. <EMAIL REMOVED> . Thank
> you folks.
>
> > > > -- 
Charles McCathie Nevile - standards - Yandex
<EMAIL REMOVED> - - - Find more at http://yandex.com