WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Making Sure of ARIA Screen Reading Settings

for

Date: Dec 7, 2016 1:06AM

Jim,

JAWS includes most of the settings you want to check out in the Settings Center. Press Insert + f2 and locate the Settings Center. Press Enter on it to open it.

As soon as it opens, press CTRL + shift+ d, to ensure you are changing the default settings or global settings. Typically JAWS opens the Settings Center to whatever application you have opened in the foreground if that application exists in its list of supported applications.

As Lucy mentioned, all of your JAWS settings are located in,
%USERPROFILE%AppDataRoamingFreedom ScientificJAWS18.0Settings
There are 2 folders there. The ENU folder contains app settings and that's where your default and custom settings for apps will be located.

The VoiceProfiles folder contains the various profiles you have customized for the JAWS cursors and speech rate, etc.

I have yet to find a location in JAWS that talks about ARIA. That is in the JAWS application itself. I typically review the enhancements from the download page to find out what JAWS is now supporting or I read the What's New topic in the help menu. The latter only works for major upgrades and not for updates like the one release this week, which fixed most of the MSWord 2016 issues I was facing.

To run JAWS in default mode, as lucy mentioned, you have to unload JAWS from memory first.
Open the Run dialog using Windows key + r
Type what's in the quotes always substituting the JAWS version you are using where the major number exists, "JAWS18 /default"
Press Enter and JAWS will load the default settings and continue to use them until you quit JAWS.