WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Verbiage for button and link interactions

for

Date: Dec 16, 2016 7:09AM

I believe that "click" has been the common vernacular for so long that it is the choice that I would make. Another alternative that we use is "Select" which is more universal. "Select the buy now button" One thing to keep in mind is that buttons should look, act and be semantically represented as buttons and links should look, act and be semantically represented as links. Doing this allows screen reader and dictation software users to command their assistive technologies to select the correct item. For example am looking for a buy now button and bring up a list of buttons in JAWS but the button is actually a link I will not see it in the list.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Christopher Myers
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 8:02 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Verbiage for button and link interactions

Hi!

I'm passing along a question for a colleague --

They're working on documentation for an online process, and are trying to figure out how to best phrase the interaction that users do with links and buttons.

Some of their coworkers say that it should be "click," but others say it should be "tap." Their reasoning behind "tap" is for mobile devices and accessibility programs. But other users would be confused by "tap" when they're using a pointing device with buttons.

So, I was just curious if there's a "universal" way of referring to one's interactions with "pressable" objects?

Thanks!

Chris