WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: icons and color contrast

for

Date: Dec 16, 2016 10:17AM

Amen to that one.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Moore,Michael (Accessibility) (HHSC)
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 11:11 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] icons and color contrast

I think that the question is simpler than does it meet the accessibility standard. Just ask them if they would like people to be able to see it. Low contrast icons will be missed or difficult to find for more people than just those with vision impairments when working in many mobile environments - like outside.

If they are not worried whether people can see them the next question would be why are they there?

Mike Moore
EIR (Electronic Information Resoources) Accessibility Coordinator Texas Health and Human Services Commission Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)

Making electronic information and services accessible to people with disabilities is everyone's job. I am here to help.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Joan Preston
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 10:47 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] icons and color contrast

Hi all,

I wanted to get your thought on icons that will be used for apps on smartphones. The icon will be used for an associated program for the university, but the color contrast does not meet 4.5:1 and at 48px x 48px, it is hard to read. The icon is not a logo, but uses branding colors. Should this icon meet the color contrast ratio or be exempt?

Per the W3C's, Logotypes: Text that is part of a logo or brand name has no minimum contrast requirement. However, corporate visual guidelines beyond logo and logotype are not included in the exception.

Thanks for your help.

Joan Preston
Web Accessibility Coordinator
ITS - California State University, Long Beach