WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Alt text

for

Date: Feb 9, 2017 1:04PM

I know you already decided on this, but I want to add a quick UX feedback.

On my Facebook page, I have all of my relatives, friends and family members. They also write in 3 different languages. So that adds to the complexity of the alt attribute.

My policy and they all know it, When you upload a video or image, you are presented with a text box for a description. If you do not add that, I will not play the video nor ask my wife about the pictures. I provide descriptions to them even though they can see to give them additional information and for me to organize any images. If they don't do that, JP does not like the posts.

I have gotten most of them trained now to use it. So yes it can help tremendously. Those who do not are a different story.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of karthik k
Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:21 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Alt text

Dear experts,
After a lot of discussion, we have decided to use manual alt text. We have a website which is similar to facebook but restricted to particular community where thousands of pictures are uploaded everyday. Does it work if we provide some edit field where the particular user writes the description of photo before uploading it?
Please suggest.